Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cutting out sanding disks

Question cutting out sanding disks

I have finally used up the last of my hook and loop sanding disks that I had purchased back when I lived close enough to attend a turning club (and participate in the group buys). I am way too cheap to pay the 30-50 cents per disk purchasing by myself. I have ordered the large sheets of hook and loop paper (about 10 cents/disk), but would like some advice on how to cut out the 3" disks. I have a couple ideas, but would like to hear how others do it.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

Make a punch out of steel pipe...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

thanks,

The steel pipe was my first idea, I have just had some trouble finding the pipe. I though I would see if there are other easy options.
    Thanks
    Jeff

Yes, another option is a holesaw minus the teeth (but sharpened to a smooth cutting edge with a file) and center drill bit. Place it in your drill press, put the sandpaper on top of a wood block, turn on the DP, and start cutting out our sandpaper. The metal pipe method works good and Mark Cothren showed me that one.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Brace yourself for this one.

I stick the large sheet of H&L to my 2" diameter pad, then I cut around the pad with tin snips and toss the remainder up on the bench somewhere, where it eventually gets covered in shavings, snarling the H&L, so I have to dig out the chips each time. This is a high precision process.

(I use tin snips because I don't want to ruin my scissors that are buried in the shavings somewhere)
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Jeff,

Where did you find the h&l sheets?

steve
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Jeff

You don't need to go to all the trouble of cutting round discs. I cut my paper into 2" and 3" squares. You can fold the corners over the pad. The paper will not scratch the wood from the edge of the paper. I have a 2" and 3" strip of metal banding that I use as a straight edge. Cut with a utility knife.

Terry

Guess what? A 3x3 square will work on the three inch round sanding pad. I use a 2" pad and cut my sheets with a straight edge then cut the strips so I get 2" squares. Works like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by steven carter View Post
    Jeff,

Where did you find the h&l sheets?

steve
    Industrial Abrasives
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

I bought a 2" circle punch from a scrapbooking store. Just slip the H & L sanding sheets in, whack the handle an voila! a two inch disc. The punch was not designed for this, so I don't know how long it will last, but it works good for now. The instructions say to punch aluminum foil or sandpaper to sharpen it, so who knows? It's a little rough for 100 grit, but works well on higher grits. I buy 6" H & L discs for a random orbit sander at the orange box store, and get 7 2" discs per sheet. This is $.06/ disc. A far cry from $.50 each. The punch cost $11.00.

I have never heard of the pipe method, but would like to know how to make one. The punch I have probably won't last forever.

Brian

The pipe method: Get a section of 3 inch ID (inside diameter) pipe about 1 1/2 inch long. I had it reamed out on the inside so the actual disc comes out about 3 1/8 diameter. Put a fairly sharp long bevel (45 degrees or sharper) on the outside, and a tiny bevel also on the inside. If you leave the inside straight, it will tend to crimp over with use. Also have the pipe heat treated to make it a bit harder. I have access to a small table top punch press which you may find in a leather processing place (Clicker press), but you can use a bigger arbor press (in the 3 to 5 ton range), or a 6 to 8 pound hammer with a wood block on top of the cutter (you can turn a fancy end grain one if you want), and punch. With the hammer, I can do 3 to 5 layers without any trouble, but I used a 10 lb hammer for years doing concrete work. Do make sure that the table you are pounding on is very sturdy, like punch right on top of a leg, rather than in the middle of the table. Also, I use some 1/2 inch thick plastic to cut out on.

robo hippy

Here is what I do. I use standard mirka paper and spray it with adhesive. My sanding pads are the wifes recycled Flip-Flops Glued to 1/2 plywood that has a 1/4 tee track bolt glued in it.I also put a 1/4" nut on the top of the plywood. They work great and I have many different sizes, cost is the tee-trac bolt.

I go the same route as Terry and Raymond. Just cut into squares with straightedge and utility knife...
    Pat

Jeff,
    I got one of the $2-3 holesaw kits from HF and made a 3" and 3.5" punch as Dennis mentioned (3" for my 2" and 3.5" for my 3" sanding pad). I ground mine on my 36 grit wheel to make a nice steep 60 degree cutter. I use a dead blow hammer against an end grain log and punch 5-10 discs at a time by folding the sandpaper accordian style before punching them.

FYI-Holesaws have the advantage of a nice flat surface for hammer strikes and easy mounting in a drill press if needed.

Good luck,
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick Strauss; 12-14-2007 at 1:50 PM.

You guys are wasting way too much time . I use a cheap pair of trauma scissors and cut around a disc used as a template sitting on top of the sheet. It's quick enough for me.

Just as an after thought, I don't punch many discs out any more. I started using the blue discs from Vince, and can't get sheet stock from him, at least not yet. The prices are fair enough, and I haven't found a better of comparable abrasive yet.
    robo hippy