Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introduction and wet wood question...

Introduction and wet wood question...

Hello to all -- my first post, although I've been lurking around for a few months

A short introduction: I've been turning for about 4 months using my small (Delta Midi) lathe which I cart out to the balcony of my 2nd floor apartment whenever I can. Pens are a snap, drop spindles for spinning are no problem, and I've recently started turning bowls using completely dry wood.

On to the question: About 2 weeks ago I rough turned a 3x8x8 marblewood blank that was wet-ish. My intention was to let it dry until next week, finish turn, sand, and tung-oil finish it for an x-mas gift. Since it was damp, I tossed it into a paper bag with some shavings, where it is right now.
    a) any chance it will even dry by next Monday?
    b) tung oil will be useless if it doesn't dry, right?
    c) does marblewood split easily if it dries too quickly?
    d) maybe it should be a mother's day gift?

Thanks in advance, everyone.

--K

Quote Originally Posted by krista todd View Post
    Hello to all -- my first post, although I've been lurking around for a few months

A short introduction: I've been turning for about 4 months using my small (Delta Midi) lathe which I cart out to the balcony of my 2nd floor apartment whenever I can. Pens are a snap, drop spindles for spinning are no problem, and I've recently started turning bowls using completely dry wood.

On to the question: About 2 weeks ago I rough turned a 3x8x8 marblewood blank that was wet-ish. My intention was to let it dry until next week, finish turn, sand, and tung-oil finish it for an x-mas gift. Since it was damp, I tossed it into a paper bag with some shavings, where it is right now.
    a) any chance it will even dry by next Monday?
    b) tung oil will be useless if it doesn't dry, right?
    c) does marblewood split easily if it dries too quickly?
    d) maybe it should be a mother's day gift?

Thanks in advance, everyone.

--K
    Hi ya Krista! Welcome out of the creepy old closet and into the light.

Don't know much about marblewood but my guts tell me you ain't got a prayer in having a dry rough-out ready by Monday. And nope...the tung oil won't work out if it's wet. Just about everything cracks if it dries too quickly...and yes...Mamma's Day sounds better. Whew!!

Welcome again!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Hi and Welcome.

Since marblewood is kind of an exotic I'm guessing that you probably got it from a wood store or ebay or something. So although it is still probably holding a little moisture, it has probably been cut for some time and more than likely lost much of it. My guess is that it might still warp some but probably won't split. If it were me, I'd go ahead with your plan of turning it next week, finishing it, and making a gift of it. The only thing I might do to dry it would be to give it a couple 30-45 second rides in the microwave. If there is much moisture in the wood it will be apparent after just a short time in the microwave, it will literally start to bubble out of the wood. I've never nuked marblewood so I can't say if it will stink up the kitchen, some woods do, some don't.

Also, if you're using pure tung oil you probably already know that it won't let you get many coats in just a few days. Something like the minwax tung oil finish dries faster or even better is minwax antique oil.

Invest in a cheap digital gram scale--Harbor Freight or a kitchen supply store. Weigh it a few consecutive days. If the weight is static for a few days, the wood is dry or more accurately, stable. If the weight is declining every day, then it still has a ways to go in terms of drying. Good luck.

If you meant real tung oil (reads "100% Tung Oil" on the container), no it will not be dry anywhere in time. If you mean "Tung Oil Finish" of some sort, like Minwax or Formby's...there's no tung oil in them. They are basically wiping varnishes. They could be dry if you "push" them on the lathe with friction and allow them to cure for a few days before buffing. But wet wood still compromises things. If you really need to finish "fast", use shellac.

Oh, and welcome to SMC!
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-13-2007 at 9:27 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

A lot of wood purchased for turning is completely encased in wax or something like it, and thus may have been cut long ago, but may still be quite green. Better to be safe than sorry.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Welcome to the Creek Krista! You got lots of good info so far - looking forward to finding out if you were able to finish the bowl in time or are waiting for Mother's Day!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

July 4th would be better.

Welcome Krista to SMC. I have to agree with Curt that you just turn it to finish and take your chances on warping. If it is fairly wet no it will not be dry by Monday. You have already received good advice on finishes so won't go there.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Lightbulb

Many thanks for the replies!

I got the blank at my local wood-store and it was coated all around in wax -- turning it, though, it wasn't nearly as wet as some eucalyptus i've tried. You are right -- the only way to be systematic about it is to have weighed it to note the water weight lost...oops.

It really does feel dry to the touch at this point, although 1 mm under the surface could be totally different.

Regarding the tung oil....I was planning on using real tung cut with mineral spirits, but I've not used this finish before - only poly and waxes.....I was planning on 1-2 coats per day. Is this not within the "normal" drying time for thinned tung oil?

I might throw it back on the lathe and use a scraper to "just see" how wet it is but I'll probably wait until later next year to finish. I just HAVE to try the microwave thing, though. sounds fun

Welcome to SMC Krista.!!!

Real T/O will not cure fast enough for a true 2 coats in one day. The T/O that I have takes about 3 days per coat and yes, you "can" push it just a tad by thinning with Naptha....but still not 2 coats in one day...I've never tried a friction finish with T/O before.....may have to give it a try to see how it works out.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Blog Entries
    Welcome Krista, can't add to the advice you've already recieved, just keep em turnin.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

Welcome in. I'd wait and keep on turning other things and more bowls after a while you'll have enough stuff to return after dry. Start the hobby with good habits.
    Enjoy

denoument

ok

It was hard to wait. The roughed bowl felt soooo dry. So I turned it today. The blank had warped quite a bit. Originally, I'd left the walls almost an inch thick. It ended up being a little more than 1/4 inch after the re-rurning.

please don't hurt me too badly with the criticisms....only my second attempt at a bowl.

Wood: marblewood
    Specs: 8.75 x 2.75 (inside dimensions)
    Finish: Walnut oil
    Attached Images Attached Images

Krista - that's one beautiful bowl! I look forward to seeing some more of your turnings! Seriously - that's some nice work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!