Thread: Game call questions

Game call questions

I am new to game call turning but have turn pens for about a year. So I have a few questions. 1) How is the best way to sand down in the groves with out removing some of the beads? 2) What type of wood for a deer grunt call? I have some nice Walnut and Olivewood. Is there a better choice.3) What is the best finish, since it is in contact with the mouth should it be a food safe finish? 4) What are the sanding steps? I go to 220 and then use Triple E to polish my pens but thought I would only use sand paper with an oil finish because of the mouth contact. I would appreciate any advice.

game calls

WoodCraft has a book on making calls --very good one --suggest you get one --tells from beginning to end with pics,

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Clay View Post
    1) How is the best way to sand down in the groves with out removing some of the beads?
    I think the stuff I have and use is called abrasive cord.

2) What type of wood for a deer grunt call? I have some nice Walnut and Olivewood. Is there a better choice.
    I haven't done a deer grunt yet. On Duck calls I prefer the oily woods as the seem to hold up well in the wet environment. Other than that I prefer denser woods as they seem to give a deeper, richer call.

3) What is the best finish, since it is in contact with the mouth should it be a food safe finish?
    I think this goes back to most finishes being food safe once they are fully cured. I acutally use John Hart's old finishing receipe. It's posted here somewhere.

4) What are the sanding steps? I go to 220 and then use Triple E to polish my pens
    I usually go through 320 or 400. Depends on the wood. I cook it at least overnight in a BLO mixture and eventually buff.

Hope this helps.
    Dave Fried

Speak softly and carry a large bonker.