Thread: Here's a problem I can't figure out.

Here's a problem I can't figure out.

'm building a vanity. For the first time, I'm installing bottom-mount drawer slides (the affordable kind from Home Depot). I used a spacer to get the cabinet members level. I checked all four corners for squareness at the top, middle, and bottom of the carcass. It's all right on. The drawer is not exactly square that I put in, but it's only off by 1/16". My problem is that the drawer is not square with the carcass. In other words, one side of the drawer sticks out farther than the other side. So I ask...

1) What's causing that?

2) Would shimming one side fix that? There should be enough clearance left to push the drawer in if I had to do that.

3) What are other possible solutions?

I don't have pictures, but I can provide tomorrow if I need to for the sake of clarity.

Blog Entries
    If you are saying that when closed, the drawer face does not sit flat against (or correctly flush) with the opening/frame; pivot the rear fastening point of the center mounted bottom-mount slide.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Glenn's right on Matt .. .. .. the drawer glide/runner has to be perpendicular to the face of the drawer in order for it to close properly .. .. .. you'll have to skew the runner(s) a bit to compensate for an out-of-square drawer, even if it' only a little bit out of square.

So just to be clear, you're saying I need to shim one side of the slide?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Campbell View Post
    So just to be clear, you're saying I need to shim one side of the slide?
    I think geln is assuming you have a undermount center slide. An he wants you to turn it right or left to pull in one side of the draw.
    Im not sure if you have that type of mount though. I think you have two slides.

Ahhh, you're right. I don't have those. The ones I'm using are the bottom corner mount drawer slides.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    You'll probably have to shim one side and let the other side into the support by the same amount in order to keep the slides parallel to each other and perpendicular to the drawer face. I too thought you were using the single, center-mount slide. Same idea, just a little more work.

Yeah, I'll try that tomorrow after I get my walnut logs milled. I just wish I could figure out why this happened so I could prevent it from happening again.

Blog Entries
    You might try changing the angle of the slides to make it land parallel. I'd attach the slides to the cabinet, then use double sided tape on the drawer. When it lands flush, press down to secure it to the tape. Then carefully slide the drawer out and screw it tight.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

With my lack of double-sided tape, I guess I'll have to go with the shim idea. Yes, I'm too lazy to go to the store. Wish I didn't have 5 more of these drawers to do.

Blog Entries
    Are the holes in the sliders slotted? If so, you should be able to get close then adjust accordingly.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

They are slotted.....for a different size of screw.