Thread: Cutoff bin

Cutoff bin

Tried searching the forums for this but no hits.

Has anybody made a cart or bin to hold cutoffs and scraps you want to keep for test cuts (or you just know you'll use them someday.)

A picture or layout would be great.

Thanks,

Jim

FWW #181 has an article about lumber storage solutions which included a roll around cutoff bin.

Its also available online at:
    http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki....aspx?id=25188
    -==--==--==--==--==--==--==-
    Karlan Talkington

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day,
    that my children may have peace." -- Thomas Paine

Support the Creek! Donate Today!

Shop Notes has one too...

Vol. 12, Issue 71 (Sep 2003) of Shop Notes has a cut-off bin plan on page 29 which can be built from one sheet of plywood. It looks like this.

Here's the pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fellmy View Post
    Here's the pic.
    Wow.....that looks like a cool store display.

Gary

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fellmy View Post
    Vol. 12, Issue 71 (Sep 2003) of Shop Notes has a cut-off bin plan on page 29 which can be built from one sheet of plywood. It looks like this.
    Thanks Bill. Ironically, I have every issue of Shop Notes and their index and I could not find that thing. I knew I had seen it, just couldn't track it down.

Thanks.

I use a metal trash can that I occasionally cull to the kindling pile. It really doesn't pay to keep stuff smaller than a "certain size" in most cases...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Isn't that what the floor is for?

Being serious - I use a shelf under my workbench to store that stuff that I just can't bring myself to thow away. Rest goes into the kindling pile. Over the spring and summer I squirle it away in boxes in my shed and it typically lasts me all winter. Ocassionally, while going through a box to start a fire and will have one of those "what were you thinking throwing this away" moments and recalim a lost treasure.

i use a cardboard box. when its full it gets transferred to the wood stove kindling basket. many of the pieces have notches in them from test cuts.

I use an old 2' x 3' x 2' wire mesh, scrap plywood floor and 3/4" pvc pipe frame cage made from left over Turkey wire that I put wheels on. This works nicely, I can move it around the shop and I can see through the cage for stuff that is handy to use when I need it. Another nice thing is that it's made from 100% recycled, left over material from other projects, even the wheels were salvaged from my shop vac, I put on bigger 6" wheels to keep it from tipping over constantly while dragging it around the shop.
    Last edited by Terry Sparks; 12-14-2007 at 4:20 PM.

Thumbs up Now that's ~

a great idea Bill - I save everything - maybe to much- I just hate waisting wood. I have 2 30 gl cans that i use for small stuff and I like what you have there and it appears to be on wheels- that is something I am going to have to build- great idea!
    Brian

Similar ideas

I took a piece of melamine scrap, put some small casters on it and then screwed a plastic storage tub to it. I put it under the CMS to toss cutoff scraps in. It is great for the grand kids to use when they are "working in the shop" and we use most of it in the outside fire pit in the summer evenings. The other is a box I built from 1/2" plywood to put "keepers" in. The sides are 24" by 24", the back and bottom are 39" by 24" and the front piece is 18" by 39". I screwed the bottom to a couple of 2X4s cut to length and mounted some 3" casters to the 2x4s. Both are easy to roll around out of the way and eliminate the "big pile" I used to have.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Used furniture

I use some old college furniture for the really short pieces. My storage is three borrowed plastic milk crates that used to be bookshelves. I can't throw away good "furniture" and I can't throw away wood scraps. I may have a problem...