Thread: Good price on 4" duct hose. Interesting woods I seen...

Good price on 4" duct hose. Interesting woods I seen...

Not sure where to post this at.

If your within driving distance of Keim Lumber, Charm Ohio they have stacks of the Jet brand 4" black 10 foot long dust collection hoses for $9.99

w w w.keimlumber . c o m

Probably the largest selection of exotic woods as well that I have seen.

I seen some Black Palm, which is quite interesting wood. The fibers?? or more like porcupine needles, grow throughout the wood and you can feel them sticking out. I see they use these for pen blanks etc. Ive never seen anything made with this, and it seems like a brittle wood that would be difficult to work with. Anyone have any experience with this?

The other new one for me was the Banksia Nuts. Looks like these can be turned into nice looking objects. I didn't buy any, but I think next time I might give it a go.

One good turn deserves another

I believe you on everything else, but that Banksia Nut vase just doesn't hold water.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I second Keim Lumber. They are the lumberyard I use and its an amazing place in the tiny town of Charm. I love going there. Even my wife likes it there. That says something.

black palm is very hard to work with in my experience, tried turning it and that was equally hard to work with just shatters, not to mention exotic woods come form protected parts of the world and everytime you buy these products you are contributing to the problem, not preaching just a thought, someone else may have better luck with machining this wood. I did not purchase it, it was in a scrap pile from a furniture maker.

There was a display in the millworks area that has finished peices of their lumber.

The Black Palm is very pretty when finished.

While examining the wood at the lumber rack, I picked at the wood between the needles, and it crumbled like hard packed dirt.

This wood is basically like a large black packed chunk of dirt with needles throughout.

Jason I believe you that turning this would be a pain and that it probably falls apart on you.

My suspicions are it could probably be used for flat work if handled very carefully.

Brian I think your right too, the banksia nut vase wouldn't be very "usable" for water lol!

Well I found all the woods interesting. There is a large selection of birds eye as well as burl and spalted woods there.

Oh, some of those other "exotic" woods are priced around $50 - $100 a board foot. So if your ever looking for some high end stuff there ya go! Wooo!
    One good turn deserves another