Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideal width for a chest of drawers

Ideal width for a chest of drawers

I want to build a chest of drawers for use in a home. I am pretty wide open on size because I don't have a particular room in mind. If it turns out, it could be a present to one of my children.

I plan to use Blum Tandem slides. I am wondering if there is an ideal width for the drawers. Too wide and it would compromise the slides I would think. Too narrow and it would look strange and be a waste of an expensive bunch of slides. I have never used the Blum Tandems before.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Steve Bolton

Ideal visually would be where the case is built with the "golden ratio" in mind...so the height of the piece would play into that decision. As long as you stay in within the weight limits of the slides, they don't factor into drawer width all that much, although how they are mounted and the type of slide might mater at some point. More important is drawer construction...wider drawers may need beefier materials, particularly for the drawer bottom.

So, some of the information that might be useful includes how tall a piece you want and how many drawers you'd like to accommodate. Will they be all the same height or graduated with the tallest on the bottom, etc. How tall is probably the most important starting point...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In the past few years, I have built two chests of drawers. One was for my wife and it was 72" long, 37" high, and 21" deep. The second one was 42" long, every thing the same. The 42" version used two drawers on top and three singles below. I did not use slides, the the dimensions came from a drawing that I had in a book. Seems to look ok.

I would look at some plans at something you like as "a chest of drawers" comes in many many flavors. I would also suggest not using Blum or any other slides, they are not really appropriate. Make your own, or use a wood slide like this:

Here is a pic of the wood slide (rockler has 'em) in my desk. it has a wide drawer, the slide keeps it centered and the thin strips on the side keep it level. Very easy to install, and with a little wax very smooth. I would suggest adding dust panels in the COD though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

steven, check out bill hylton's book on chests of drawers. it's one of the best ones in the taunton series and discusses all the different strategies that woodworker's have used through the ages to construct long-lasting furniture. there's a ton of information on building the case, attaching drawer runners as well as drawer construction not to mention the 7 projects which help to further illustrate the concepts introduced in the first few chapters although i'm not crazy about the contemporary chest with the weird looking side end panels.

Actually, I am making the chest of drawers because of the Blum Tandems, not in spite of them.

I really like wood on wood for cabinets and I think I understand the point you are making about not having metal in a piece of furniture. But I would like to try using the Blum Tandems because they seem like the premier drawer slide. Does anyone know of any that are superior?

I like the Golden Ratio, but I probably would select the drawer width and then apply the ratio from there.

Steve Bolton

I took a sugguestion and bought Bill Hylton's book on Chests of Drawers and it is great.

One thing that was a little ironic was that in the book you can see Bill installing a Blum Tandem on a drawer.

That said, I understand that you would not want to put metal slides on a period piece of furniture, or something you expect to be a family heirloom.

The book is great and I highly recommend it.

Steve Bolton

Quote Originally Posted by George Bregar View Post
    I would suggest adding dust panels in the COD though.
    What are dust panels?

The panels that keep "things" from going from one draw to the other...below the rails in this pic...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

thanks Glen!

Yopu will notice that the pic of the dust panel also shows wooden slides. Modern ball bearing slides are a great thing, and appropriate in a kitchen drawer or other heavy duty applications. But not in chest of drawers.

Sell them on eBay, buy some great lumber, or a nice dovetail jig or something, and make an heirloom.

George, I disagree that modern slides are not suited to a chest of drawers. The "suitability" should be in the mind of the user.

Modern drawer slides will allow larger drawers for more heavy contents.

Modern slides are better suited to older (and younger) users, and to those with physical disabilities.

Modern slides allow a greater drawer extension.

Modern slides are more durable, and more reliable.

Now, I'm certainly not taking the position that traditional drawer slides should never be used. I just don't agree that they should always be used, with no exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Dunn View Post
    George, I disagree that modern slides are not suited to a chest of drawers. The "suitability" should be in the mind of the user.

Modern drawer slides will allow larger drawers for more heavy contents.

Modern slides are better suited to older (and younger) users, and to those with physical disabilities.

Modern slides allow a greater drawer extension.

Modern slides are more durable, and more reliable.

Now, I'm certainly not taking the position that traditional drawer slides should never be used. I just don't agree that they should always be used, with no exceptions.
    Well, of course, people can do what they want. I think most would agree that modern slides are not appropriate for a chest of drawers. They are for cabinets. I would also say that full extension slides are not a good idea for a chest especially if they are overloaded...an extended top drawer can topple a chest on a young one. That is why they are for cabinets, whcih are fixed to a wall.

I built a bedroom set for my wife and I. The only thing she specified was that the drawers had to glide in and out like our kitchen drawers.

We have metal drawer slides on the entire bedroom set. 2 dressers, a TV stand and the night tables.
    Wood'N'Scout