Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fein vs Festool

Fein vs Festool

I need a vacuum to install under my workbench. It's only use will be hooked up to routers and sanders. I would like something very quiet.
    I think I narrowed the choices down to the Fein Turbo II and the Festool CT Midi.

Or maybe there is another consideration???

Thanks
    Dave
    Mission Furniture- My mission is to build more furniture !

The 14 Gallon Ridgid SNR is a pretty popular choice and is only $99. I am pretty happy with mine, as are others. Pair it with a cyclone and it would be hard to beat for the money.

If you want quiet, go with the Fein or the Festo. But I don't think the Festool Mini has HEPA filtration, so you might consider moving up to the CT22 or CT33.
    Visit Peercon.com

I have the Fein Turbo II ..... and I love it. Plenty of power, quiet, the switched outlet provides enough power for my 12 amp routers, domino etc .... Another thing I like about it is the weight and the top handle, I can easily pick it up one handed and run it up the stairs to tackle home situations that demand a little bit more than a standard upright.

JB

I have both. Comparing the two new, I think that the Fein was a better machine. But both are excellent. I purchased the Festool Later on to keep the rest of the Festools sorted and mobile. I still have both and use both, but the Fein has been now moved to the garage for general shop vac usage.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

I also have both the Fein Turbo II and the Festool CT33. They both have their good points and slight negatives. The Fein is more compact, lighter, comes with larger hose - but - hose does not fit anything without adapters, can not put anything on top of vac, suction is not variable for sanders. The Festool CT33 is the tallest one they make. It has a great flat top that is always my perferred place to place the tool currently hooked up, has on-board storage, filters extremely well, has variable suction, is very stable, hose fits every tool I have - but - it is heavier, bulkier, takes a little more floor space, uses filter bags. Both are great vacuums.
    Pete

I have both as well. I use them frequently but prefer the Fein Turbo II over the Festool CT-22. The Fein seems quieter (unless the CT-22 is dialed down) and has a longer, more flexible hose. Additionally I prefer the toggle on/off of the Fein to the dial switch of the Festool.

I have both as well. The Fein is built stronger/tougher--the Festoll is more delicate. If I could only get one, it would definately be the Fein.

Interesting posts. Both are apparently excellent. Some prefer one, some the other. Generally, I have read that the Fein is quieter, and that seems to be the main point in its favor. Otherwise, the Festo seems to be more adaptable to different tools. I know the Festo CT 22 and CT 33 have HEPA filtration. Does the Fein?
    Visit Peercon.com

Looks like we have quite the shopvac crowd here. I'm glad I'm not the only one with both. I only got the Festool CT22 recently so have much more experience with the Fein II which I think is a great vac. I upgraged to a HEPA filter, which did raise the price tag a chunk--the CT22 and CT33 come with HEPA. They seem about the same noise-wise; I think I recall reading that the Fein might be slightly quieter. I got the CT22 for the reasons others stated--mostly better integration with other Festool tools (and I splurged and got the boom arm which is nice). That said, the Fein worked well with the Festool circular saw in the past. As Steve said, I often use the Fein for general clean up and to tote around the house or garage if I need to, rather than taking down the boom arm. And I would agree with Scott about preferring the toggle buttons on the Fein and the longer hose (which sometimes gets in the way). I've also used the Fein as a wet vac and it works well. You really can't go wrong with either.

Ridgid rates their WD1450 at 179-CFM. My test w/ a slightly dirty filter indicates 165-CFM +/- 5-CFM. The Fein Turbo III (their largest) is rated at 126-CFM.

Adding a cyclone would further reduce the CFM.

I have not tested the SPL of the Ridgid even though I have the gear because comparisons would be difficult to make to other brands w/o testing them in the same environment (I don't know if Fein/Festool use anechoic chambers or what, and my chamber is full of lumber anyhow .

I do know the Ridgid is louder than the Fein. But running a router or sander for any period of time really does require ear protection anyhow. And with the slightly louder output you get 42% more CFM's, which isn't a bad tradeoff.
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 12-15-2007 at 10:43 PM.

BTW, the larger Ridgid (WD1850) is said by the manufacturer to pull 203-CFM. I haven't tested it, but their rating for the WD1450 I have seemed to be accurate so I really have no reason to doubt the 203CFM they claim on the WD1850.

I'll also make the point that the accessories (HEPA filter, bags) for the Ridgid products are more readily available and less expensive.

Since the ability to turn on the vac when the tool is turned on is available on both, that's a wash. I personally think the Festool is quieter. The suction on the Fein seems to be better. I very much like the longer hose on the Fein, and also like the ability to not use a bag with the Fein. If I was to do it again and purchase only one... I'd buy the Fein again. That said, I have both and don't plan to get rid of either. Both good. The cut-off when clogged is also a great feature.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wargo View Post
    ...and also like the ability to not use a bag with the Fein.
    THat is a nice feature, but if you do want HEPA with the Fein, you need to use bags. At least I think that's right because I think that's why I now use bags.

Interesting. I was considering eventually "upgrading" my Fein to a Festool. I was thinking that it would be better for portability. I already use a Festool hose, so that isn't going to change anything.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter