Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric Brad Nailer Recommendations

Electric Brad Nailer Recommendations

I know the pneumatic nailers are far better performers than the electric models. I am barely a weekend worrier and plan on using the nailer on projects in the garage and maybe some molding around the house. I know if I have to drag the compressor out, let it fill, it is not worth it for the few times a year I would use the tool.

I am interested in getting an electric unit that operates on wall power, 120V. I really do not want a cordless so I do not have to purchase batteries years down the road or have to worry about batteries becoming obsolete for this model. I really do not have a preference between a brad nailer or a finish nailer. If a unit does staples it may be a plus but not a necessary. I would like to keep it within $100-$150. There just does not seem to be a high demand, hence the low number of units and minimal reviews online. If anyone would know best it would be you guys.

I Had bought two different electric nailers and brought both of them back right after i started using them for 3/4 in. brads. almost none of them made it below the surface.
    If you have a compressor get a small brad nailer (18G) that has a two in. capacity.

Forget electric, run to Home Depot, buy the Husky Pancake Compressor/Brad Nailer combo for $69. Great deal for a nice little combo that performs well. I re-trimmed a whole house and never a hiccup...the pancake compressor drives my DeWalt 15G finish nailer well too. My buddy has had his for two years...reliable.

I think you will find an electric model will not do what you want it to do. I purchased one years ago and it would not sink a small nail in pine. Just was not worth the money. Everyone I know that owned one had the same experience.

What George said...a small portable compressor and a pneumatic brad gun is the way to go, even for an occasional weekend warrior. The electric units are barely good for putting down carpet...not enough power to drive the fasteners deep enough into wood. Even pine on some of them.

I have a very small and portable compressor that I use for incidental home improvement tasks in the house. 'Beats running a long line from the 60 gallon shop compressor...and just as effective. The only gun it's not good for is the framer. Everything else up through my 15 gage angle nailer works great with it. It's also very quiet compared to larger machines.

BTW, Welcome to SMC!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've owned several electric brad nailers and staplers. They all varied from mediocre to truly horrible.

Now I have a nice compressor, and six nailers and staplers. Best move I've made.

Find a small compressor that fills quickly and get a pneumatic nailer. You'll won't regret it.

Regards,

Dan.
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

Jim,

What compressor did you buy?

Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    What George said...a small portable compressor and a pneumatic brad gun is the way to go, even for an occasional weekend warrior. The electric units are barely good for putting down carpet...not enough power to drive the fasteners deep enough into wood. Even pine on some of them.

I have a very small and portable compressor that I use for incidental home improvement tasks in the house. 'Beats running a long line from the 60 gallon shop compressor...and just as effective. The only gun it's not good for is the framer. Everything else up through my 15 gage angle nailer works great with it. It's also very quiet compared to larger machines.

BTW, Welcome to SMC!
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

Dan, it was a little Husky from the 'borg...about $89 on sale. Small tank and surprisingly quiet for an oil-free compressor. I've even used it to unclog one of the dishdrawers when a couple peas somehow made it by the filters. Very handy little machine.
    --

I thought electric too at first

I am a beginner and like you, thought an electric brad nailer was my answer. I purchased a craftsman electric 18 ga. brad nailer. It is not that great IMHO. Ok, who am I kidding, its terrible. I avoid using it! The "non-marking" tip does not hold true. Like someone said earlier, it barely puts the nails below the surface of the wood even on the highest power. I know what everyone means when they say, Buy a "good tool" and you cry once........ Buy a bad tool and you cry everytime you use it! Don't go electric!!!!!!!!! Unless you want to buy mine.

I hope to solve my nailer problems this year though. SWMBO gave me the permission to "pull the trigger" on the Hitachi 18 ga. brad nailer from amazon. However, Santa is delivering it X-mas morning. I haven't even been able to play with it yet! Its hard to wait, knowing its downstairs with the other gifts. My little ones think its a surprise. What we do for our kids!!!!

I have a shop compressor but bought a small portable one for under $50 for nailers. although I use it mostly for the small brad nailers and staplers I have on occasion also used it for my framing nailer. Its good for 2 or 3 nails and then has to recharge but it does come in handy in some situations. Get the compressor, its handy for many other things as well.

Fred Mc.

Thanks for all the great replies. I this is definitely the best place to get some great information. I had no idea that the electric nailers were such poor performers. I was wondering why none of the Porter-cables, Boschs, Makitas, etc did not make these. They probably do not want to tarnish their image with a product like these.

I am definitely going to keep my eye out for a good sale. There is still room under the Christmas tree for a small compressor and nailer. Having a January birthday is always nice to finish off any gifts that santa did not fit in his sleigh.

Thanks a lot for all your help and no I am not intereted in buying any of your used electric brad nailers.

The "combo deals" that are not unusual at the 'borg will net you a gun or three plus a small compressor for a VERY good price. All the major brands have these in one box. Excellent deals for more folks, IMHO.
    --

Jim,

Was this the Husky compressor?
    http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...5X-_-100536065

I've been nosing around a bit looking for a lighter compressor. I have a Thomas T-200ST. It's a great compressor, but it's a bit of a compromise. It will power two-three framing nailers, has a very quick recycle time, is continuous-duty rated, and is pretty quiet compared to other oil-less compressors. OTOH, it's only got a 4 gallon tank and weighs 66lbs.

All of this means that it's a nice construction compressor, but not that great for continuous air tools like sprayers and a pain to carry around. I.e. a bit tool small to be a shop compressor and a bit too big to be a "pick up and run", small job, worksite compressor.

I've been looking at a small Thomas compressor (nice, but expensive) and a small Senco (nice, not too spendy, but I'm not sure of the quality). I'll add the Husky to the list.

Thanks,

Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Clark View Post
    Was this the Husky compressor?
    No, mine is more like a miniature of a typical 20 gallon setup...but with about a horizontal 1 gallon tank, give or take...and was purchased a couple years ago. But the one you linked to should be a similar setup relative to performance. Perhaps this is "new packaging" for the same thing! Real nice for general utility when the expectations are realistic.
    --

Here is mine, I saw them at my local HD for $59...normally $69. Really works very well for an affordable lil pancake compressor. Gun shoots 18G brads and staples. The second I got for my son this Christmas, a little bigger compressor with both a 18g brad nailer and 16g finish nailer. $179 at HD.
    Attached Images Attached Images