Thread: Shop Fox Molder

Shop Fox Molder

I have an upcoming remodel project to replace ALL of the molding/trim throughout my house (about 2000 LF of trim and 850 LF of crown molding). So I purchased the Shop Fox Molder after calculating that the machine will be more than paid for just by this project.

I searched and reread all previous posts on both the Shop Fox and the Williams and Hussey molder. I just could not justify the dramatic cost difference for the W&H, even with the planned project (it would NOT have paid for the machine).

The molder is due to arrive on Tuesday. The project won't start until after the new year so I have a few questions to settle before then.

The W&H has a multipass system that allows you to take lighter cuts (3/16" above) and eliminate having to hog out excess material on the tablesaw. Has anyone installed this on the Shop Fox?

The W&H has what looks like a really nice after market guide system. Will this fit the Shop Fox? Would you recommend it or build one from scratch? Right now I am planning on 2 different widths of casing with 2 different profiles, a chair rail, a base molding profile, the crown molding, and a brick molding for the outside of the new windows - so 8 profiles all together (plus the knife to relieve the backs on the trim).

Lastly, what is the best source for cutters? Grizzly has them, W&H has them, I have checked with GG Schmidt as well as Custom Moulding Knives. Who would you recommend?

For those that have the Shop Fox, any advice, tips or recommendations?

Oh, I did go with the variable speed model.

Thanks.

Be well,

Doc

Don,
    I asked the same question about the multi-pass attachment a couple of weeks ago and didn't get any bites. Hope you have more luck.

From what I have read here all things seem to match up as far as everything else goes . I can help you with your question about knives. I have ordered 4 Custom knives from Connecticut Saw & Tool and am very pleased with them. They have a quick turn around time. My only problem is with shipping. They use the Brown guy and they gouge me on brokerage and taxes at the border.
    You won't have to worry about that so all should be good.

Hope you get some replies on your multi-pass question!

Does the Jet moulder use the same size knives as these two machines. that SF looks SWEET.

Don,

I have ordered knives for my ShopFox moulder from Grizzly and I had a custom set of knives made by GG Schmidt. All of the knives work well.

The ShopFox moulder is an excellent machine and it is a so easy to operate. Lots of fun to watch lumber go in one side and moulding come out the back

I also have a huge trim moulding project starting shortly. We are replacing the siding on our 100 year old house right now. As soon as the siding is done we will start removing all the moulding inside, replacing it with new material, some made on the ShopFox and some made on my ShopBot router.

I wish I had information for you about the multi-pass attachment but I don't. It seems that nobody here has used the multi-pass attachment.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 12-17-2007 at 9:12 PM.

I own the Shopfox without variable speed and routinely make moldings in two or more passes. No rocket science, simply take one pass to remove the bulk of the wood, crank it down about 1/16" and make a final pass for a smoother finish. I have successfully molded everything from 5 1/2" crown down to picture frames. I buy my cutters from W&H, Schmidt or whoever has a good deal on Ebay.

Not sure what the multipass gizmo does for you.
    Gentleman Jim

Jim, it is my understanding that the height needs to be set such that the infeed rollers are in firm contact with the wood, which usually puts the knives at the finished profile height. If you raise the head above that to take a lighter pass, the rollers don't exert enough pressure on the wood and a SERIOUS kickback could occur.

The W&H multipass system is an enlarged front feed roller with stronger springs which allows the height to be set 3/16" above the finished profile depth AND still exert enough pressure on the workpiece as to not be a hazard. After running it through at the "roughing" height, you crank down another 3/16" to the "finishing" height and get a glass smooth profile with no preremoval of material necessary.

As I've never used a molder in the past, this SOUNDS in theory to be valid to me, especially the part about lessening the rollar contact creating a kickback hazard.

Apparently, as Keith pointed out, there are few here at SMC that actually own molders. I plan to visit a local W&H distributer after I get the Shop Fox and discuss this with them. In the mean time, hopefully more SMC'ers that have molders will respond.

Be well,

Doc

Keith, what do you use for guides? As I said, I'm looking at about 8 different profiles and the thought of creating a sled with guides for each profile seems too much if the W&H guide system will work. Of course, to create the sled/guide once for each profile will also ensure quick setup and repeatable results.

Be well,

Doc

Don,

I have been using the wooden guides that came with my ShopFox. I have a plan to machine new guides that are keyed to the vertical posts which would make setup quicker and much easier. Awhile back I measured and made a sketch for the new guide and planned to machine them on my ShopBot router from Corian but I haven't had the time to start the project. I also have plans to make a circular guide from Corian for arched moldings but I will have to wait until the need arises before I will be able to get the job done.

I currently have so many jobs in my shop that I am a bit overwhelmed, it happens every year about this time. The new vinyl siding project for our house is our number one priority and we have run into problems and had to replace the bottom sill plate in many areas. Jacking up the walls to remove and replace the old sill plate has slowed the siding project down and bad weather is just around the corner. We had to remove both asbestos and wood siding then add plywood sheathing for the new vinyl on a two story house so it is slow going. I hired a couple guys to help me on the weekends, they have ladders, walk boards and the equipment to cover the trim that I don't own nor want to buy

Once I get my molder guides made and tested I will let you know how they work. I am sure it will be sometime this Winter, we hope to be inside replacing the molding in the house as soon as the siding work is done. I have a couple of ideas for making the knife setup adjustable to the guide but I will have to test it before I will know for sure it will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Does the Jet moulder use the same size knives as these two machines.
    No. It uses the same knives as most other planer/moulders.
    Scott
    Scott's Sharpening Service
    Glendale, AZ

I contacted W&H yesterday regarding the Multi-pass attachment . When I asked if the Multi-pass would fit the Shop Fox his reply was " I would saw no" .When I asked about the differences his reply was the castings on the SF were not as heavy and as refined as the W&H. Just what I expected him to say !
    When I asked him if he would sell me one he had no problem with that but if I modified it in any way he said "all bets are off ".

I got the impression that he said what he had to saw , which I also expected.

Also when I contacted Woodstock Int. regarding some planer snipe on the SF I was told to remove the tension springs and crank down the infeed and outfeed rolls. I haven't done this but I did put more tension on the and it cleared that up.

Hope some of this helps,
    Fred

Cutting moldings in multiple passes

I can only say that I have run many 100's of feet of molding doing multiple passes as I stated without any kick backs. The trick seems to be cutting slightly less than full depth on the first pass and then lowering the head for a cleanup pass. The attached pic is a 6 1/8" crown I copied from an old wardrobe and reproduced with the Shopfox for a series of wardrobes. Sharp eyes will detect a flaw in the molding, a .38 caliber bullet in the walnut when I ran it through the molder, like to gave me heart failure thinking about my custom knives. Fortunately the lead was soft and no damage resulted.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gentleman Jim

Just got a call from the freight company - molder will be here tomorrow between 3 and 6.

I spoke with the local W&H guy and he said he'd sell me the multipass system and if it doesn't fit he'd take it back (he said, just don't break it).

I'll get the molder set up and make a trip to the dealer on Friday, so I should have a report back this weekend.

As for the guides, I think I'll just make a specific guide "sled" for each of the knife profiles. I think that's the fastest and easiest way to setup for repeatable cuts.

Be well,

Doc