Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drumsanders down to 2 ??

Drumsanders down to 2 ??

OK, getting close to getting one and I've narrowed it down to two, there's were a few others like the Timesaver, but you know who advised me I can't physically afford the beatings that would come with spending that much money...so

First one is the Jet 22-44 from Rockler for about $1100
    They also have a SuperMax 25" Pro drum sander on sale for $1500 with the extension tables and casters included.

Any opinions on the Supermax as compared to the Jet?
    The Supermax has drum supports on both sides which would limit lumber to 25" but eliminate any flex, wondering if flex is a problem on the jet?

Also is there aftermarket/cheaper sandpaper for both of these?
    I believe there is for the Jet, can't find any for the Super in a quick search.

The WAF (wife appreciation factor) is leaning towards the 16-32 Jet, but I think maybe if I plead a lot I'll get the ok on the 22-44, but if there's a good reason to get the Super I might just go for it.

If flexing isn't a concern, I think the Jet might be the better buy...I think.

TIA

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Al, I just ordered the 22-44 with the closed stand and extension tables. Should be delivered on Friday. I also ordered the Jet name brand paper which was WAY expensive Hopefully someone can suggest a cheaper alternative.

In my research, I didn't find anyone who complained of flex with the 22-44, especially with the sandsmart technology. The biggest bit of information I gleaned from everyone - take VERY small passes - It's a sander, not a planer! I guess that's where a lot of people get flex, when they try to plane with it.

Good luck with your decision. I can't wait to get mine and use if for our upcoming kitchen remodel.

Be well,

Doc

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Al, keep your eyes open for a good used Woodmaster. There's no comparison between my old Delta DS & my 2675. I think the same could be said for the other hobbyists drum sanders too. JMO
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I've been looking for a 26" Woodmaster, anything larger won't work for me, and there just isn't any to be had, they have their 26" on sake now but even at only 2k, its to much money for what I'll be using it for.

I'm leaning towards the Jet, Like Don, I can't find any mention of flex when used properly, and its priced in a range I can justify.

Just don't want to spend that much and find for a few hundred more I could have gotten much more.

Al

I would suggest being patient and watching craigslist and the forum for sale sections for used machines. I bought an older 22/44 ST (3 legged version of the 4 legged 22/44 Pro model) that had been upgraded to 3HP and the hood upgraded to 4" for DC -paid $425. Had to drive to chicago to get it but well worth it. Also found a 25 hour used G1066Z double drum for $900. There is a huge quality increase in the 1066Z vs the 22/44. The conveyor belt on the Griz is SWEET vs the sandpaper belt on the 22/44. Adjustability is much nicer on the Griz. Keeping the 22/44 for times I need more than 24".

Make sure you have good DC no matter which model sander you choose!!!

If you could ever find a widebelt though, they are the cats meow. The guy I bought the Griz from upgraded to a 37" Timesaver Speedsaver. All I can say is WOW!

As far as paper, I bought some 22/44 rolls from ebay and they work very well. Keep the paper clean.
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 12-16-2007 at 11:05 PM.

Al,
    I have the Shop Pro 25" closed end DS that is the same model as the
    SuperMax. I had the PerforMax 16-32 before and liked it but the 25"er has much more power. I added the SandSmart system and now I can just "set and forget it". The amp load on the drum motor controls the belt speed and motor overload is not a worry. I'm very pleased with it and do recommend it, and that price sounds good as well. I did see a Steel City dual drum sander, I think, at Woodcrafters and it looked like a good machine as well. Don't recall the price but looked like a fair deal. I have been buying large rolls of paper at the best price I can find, but I have the best performance from Klingspor. Also, If you go finer than 150 grit you will find the paper clogs and burns more quickly and it takes more passes at a reduced "bite". Good nluck, John.

I have the 16/32 performax and once you learn the tricks to setting it up t works pretty sweet. I don't have one but a good table extension off to the side for when you sand something wide would help. The few things I have done at thirty inches I supported with my hand but they weren't very long. Having the drum set up between 1/64 and 1/32 at the outer end makes sanding wide pieces easier (I think that is in the manual).
    In case you get one: how I set the drum
    I found if you joint and plane a piece of wood two or so inches high you can use that as a reference point to the drum so you can get a gage under the drum. Just make sure the belt is not holding the wood block reference piece up in the air. When you tighten the bolts down do them slow. Each a little at a time and check the drum as you tighten the bolts. My drum will move if I am not careful at this point.

I almost forgot. I wish i had the 22/44. i am planning to do some wide doors and would like the extra width.

Not to hijack this thread but has anyone seen the Steel City 15/30 widebelt? It is listed for $2K and seems to be a contender for this application.
    Wood'N'Scout

Thumbs up Jet/Performax 22-44" Plus

I just bought the open stand model at Rockler for $900 + tax in November, which made it about $100 more than the 16-32". It was hard to justify the sander purchase, but easy to justify the additional $100.
    Now that I have it, I'm sorry I waited so long. Dust free, flat smooth sanding. Assembly and set up went very easily. Changing sandpaper likewise is simple.
    My only complaint is that I think the extension tables should be included with the sander or at least not $90 a set.

Rockler also has the 22-44" Perfromax Pro for about $1500, but I could not justify the higher price personally.
    Gary

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mountain.
    I second the idea about watching craigslist. Its sad to say, but lots of pro woodworkers are in deep trouble these days. With the economy what it is and increased foreign competition, many woodshops are scaling back or going out of business. I picked up a drum sander for about half of retail, same with a vacuum press.

Did somebody ask about where to get quality sandpaper rolls?

These guys are great. I now buy all my abrasives from them.

http://www.supergrit.com/products/pr...eeve-cloth.asp

Quote Originally Posted by nic obie View Post
    Did somebody ask about where to get quality sandpaper rolls?

These guys are great. I now buy all my abrasives from them.

http://www.supergrit.com/products/pr...eeve-cloth.asp
    I didn't ask but i am glad you answered. Thanx for the tip.

Perhaps those of you DS-savvy folks could list some good DS to search for on Craigslist. There have been several good ones mentions...curious if there are anymore?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Only one I seen locally was a Performax 22-44 plus used for $1100

I see them new for that price......but I keep looking..

Al