Thread: Lighting Outside Wood Shop

Rob Will Guest

Lighting Outside Wood Shop

This is a little bit off topic but I need some advice about outdoor lighting.

In the area imediately outside of the wood shop I have a fluorescent dusk to dawn light that works fairly well. Beyond that, I have a 300' driveway that leads up to the shop. Adjacent to the driveway is a parking area for trucks and equipment. (that's also where the sawmill guy sets up his woodmizer when he cuts for me)

I want to install a motion sensor out near the driveway that controls 3 or 4 floodlights. When needed, this would light up the parking area and the area leading up to the wood shop. Here's a few questions:

Who sells good quality motion sensors that will last a long time out in the weather?

I have a couple of low-light cameras (not infrared) that I can view from the office. What type of light do CCD cameras respond best to?
    Metal Halide, High Pressure Sodium, Mercury Vapor, Fluorescent. etc. ?

What type of lights will work best with a motion sensor (quick startup)?

Thanks for your suggestions,
    Rob

I got some at the Borg. They work fine. One is fading after what - - - 8 or 10 years.

Be sure you put 'em on a switch. Those things can be really annoying if you have a reason to want it dark.

Rob,

With motion sensing you really can't practically use HID lighting (HPS, MH, or MV). They take too long to come on. Without actually seeing your lay out, I would consider using too Standard "Gable-end Garage type" Motion sensors. One at the shop and one at the house. The kind that have two "Par-38" lamps in screw-in sockets.

Then put some HID fixtures up with switches and Photo-eyes in case you forget and leave them on. This will give you instant on low level lighting to walk back and forth from the shop and then higher level when you want/need that. Stay away from Mercury Vapor. That's old technology and quite in efficient.

Rob....I use some that are motion sensing on my shop and my carport. Initially I was given one as a Christmas present but it didn't work right from installation. I went to the local HD and bought some of the higher priced ones and they have worked well. They have adjustable timers for the length of time they stay on after sensing motion. I have 50 watt floods in them. The one at the entrance of the shop I have set to stay on for 1 minute. The one at the carport and our backdoor is set to stay on for 10 minutes. Often I come in late at night from work or the LOML comes in from grocery shopping and we like to have the steps at the back door illuminated.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 12-18-2007 at 12:13 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have a large Mercury Vapor light on my shop. Its very bright, but--as Mike said it wouldn't work well on a motion detector. On a photoeye is also an energy hog, as it is on 10+ hours a day and draws 175W. CFL's probably wouldn't work well either as even inside they take a little time to warm up.