Thread: Christmas advice?

Christmas advice?

I'm going to request a plunge base router for Christmas. I currently have a 3.25 HP PC under my router table, and a makita dedicated to my dovetail jig. I also have 3 others (tag sales etc.)for handheld work, (breakedges etc...) Whater I buy I will use where a plunge base would be reqd. Any advice on the latest and greatest? It's kind of cool that my wife just asks me what I could use. Thanks in advance Chris Ormsby

Recently these were on more of a discount at Amazon. The price is still good at $187.15 delivered. I don't know how much your willing to spend. I am sure there are plenty of higher end stuff for the extra cash

Hitachi M12V2 15 Amp 3-1/4 Horsepower Plunge Base Variable Speed Plunge Router with 1/4-Inch and 1/2-Inch Collets

List Price:$397.78 Price:$187.15 Free Shipping You Save:$210.63 (53%)
    One good turn deserves another

If you want a kit, where you can dedicate a base to other functions, DeWalt 618, Bosch 1617, Porter Cable 89x series, or the new Milwaukee 5615 would get the most hits here.

If you want STRICTLY a plunger, DeWalt 621 would probably be the hands down winner, with Trition, Hitachi MV12, and others following suit.

I hear alot of good things about the plunge mechanism of the DW621. Haven't tried the new plunger for the Milwaukee 5616, but that's a heck nice hand router with a fixed base....comes in a kit with both bases now.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Chris, Woodcraft has been running an unreal deal since Thanksgiving on the Freud FT2200E. 3.250 hp, plunge, variable speed for $129.99. I have the older version of it and it is a great router. Their website says some are left. John

Personally, I think the best overall investment is with a multi-base 12-13 amp setup. Enough power for most work, but lighter in weight for manuverablity. If you want to go dedicated, the DW621 is about the best thing in this space for the cost...still...and it has been for many years. That said, my Festool OF1400 is incredibly smooth and comfortable to use. I like it much better than any other router I've ever used, including the DW621. But the initial investment is a little more... ...but worth it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've been totally unimpressed with my PC plunge base. The router and fixed base are fine. I wish I'd spent the little extra for the Dewalt...
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

Rob Will Guest
    I just bought the Freud FT3000 plunge router. Check out the big comfortable handles and finger trigger on/off switch.

Rob

I just ordered my triton 2.25 hp plunge Michele is good to me.