Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dear Lord, I think I've inherited my father's dread disease, DSPH

Dear Lord, I think I've inherited my father's dread disease, DSPH

"DSPH?" you ask. Dead Sand Paper Hording.

My dad never met a piece of sandpaper that he didn't like. In fact, once he met them, he was reluctant to part with them! One of the things that I "inherited" many years ago--when he closed up shop as they downsized their home and eventually move to Florida--was a huge collection of used sandpaper!

Although he never spoke it out loud, I caught him doing it a couple of times and so know the practical outworking of his sandpaper philosophy. I'm sharing it here for posterity because I know there will be others in the future who will fall into the same traps (none of the current Creekers, of course).

Dad would use a piece of say 150 grit sandpaper until it would not sand any more. He would then put it in a pile, along with the multitude of other well used chunks. He would use that piece of clogged 150 on another project that called for 220 grit paper. He evidently figured that if it doesn't work as 150, it must have filled up most of the vertical space, and now would grind off much less than it did as new 150 grit.

I would sneak into his shop when he was still in their large house and gather up bags of clogged SP and pitch it. BAGS of the stuff, literally. Sadly, no one sneaks into my shop and cleans up.

And now, I about have to post a sign saying "You are NOT your father! THROW IT AWAY!!!" I'll be working away on a project and realize that I have not changed sandpaper for a very long time and that no matter how hard I push, or how hard I try and find a clean spot, the paper ain't making dust, just smoke and dark spots on the wood! And it's just sooooooooo amazing to me when I change to new paper and how quickly the marks go away... Kind of like not sharpening tools until it about hits you in the head that maybe, just maybe, the sucker is dull enough to use as a tongue depressor!

But then, I'm sure that no one else here does stuff like that. Figured I'd share so y'all could have a little Christmas laugh on me.
    Dean Thomas
    KCMO

Gosh Dean, I'm glad I don't have that disease.
    At least no one knows about it anyway and I ain't telling

Must be contagious! One of the few things I've found that helps is using the clogged paper to sand my tool rest. Keeps the tool rest smooth and shiny and turns the sandpaper black. After that I'm not tempted to reuse it! I also keep a large trash can handy for moral support.
    Dave Fried

Speak softly and carry a large bonker.

My adopted motto is to "Use sandpaper like someone else is buying it." However, it is hard to put a piece that's only used once and that looks pretty good into the bin. Good luck with your recovery.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

Dsph

I store my used sandpaper on the floor. Then, thanks to my wife's good cooking I have developed an oversized middle. Now, when I try to retrieve the sandpaper on the floor, I black out, and that is that. Be warned, Max

Cure?

I found a vaccine for that problem. Married her and reluctently gave her bench space in the shop. Shes a cleaner upper. I'm never through with a piece of sandpaper i but when it falls to the floor she kina swoops and it is gone. Maybe we all need to get one of these.
    Bob

So it wasn't just my dad who kept a box of used sandpaper?

wasn't that a part of the old "shop" class teaching back in Junior High and High school??

I agree with Raymond. "use sandpaper like someone else is paying for it". I heard Mike Mahoney say that on one of his videos. it has become shop policy where ever I am.

Dean I think that mentality came fromt he 1930's. My dad did the same thing. He passed away last month so we had to clean the house and shop so we could sell the place. He had at least 80 V-belts. He said oh I might need one in a emergency or he had several 3 pound coffee cans of nails, screws and bolts. He had sandpaper in a box and I mean a box full. He always said I might need some in a emergency. He would always tell me that in the 30's they didn't throw anything away because they might need it and guessing by the amount of stuff we threw away he kept everything. After growing up with those thoughts I find myself once in a while doing the same thing but have developed a mind change that if I haven't used it in a year or more get rid of it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Yep if I let mine in the shop I can't find anything and I can actually see the floor and bench tops.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I have one but she's allowed in the shop by invitation only. Otherwise, she'd be "rearranging" my stuff and I'd never find anything like in the house!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I have one but she's allowed in the shop by invitation only. Otherwise, she'd be "rearranging" my stuff and I'd never find anything like in the house!
    Mine is afraid to into the shop...
    Afraid she might catch what I have!
    Change One Thing

cure?

And I thought I had the only one of those. Hah!!

Blog Entries
    It's a shame the stuff isn't dated we all might be sitting on a gold mine of Antiques. Or could that be all us Antiques are sitting on a gold mine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

Every "keeper" should be required to marry a "pitcher". It should be an intransmutable law, but sadly, it's too late for me. We're BOTH keepers and we clean up our respective work areas only when we absolutely have to, when we absolutely can't find something that we know is there, or when we absolutely can't work any more because there just ain't room!

Still love her after nearly 36 years of marriage. And they said it would never last!
    Dean Thomas
    KCMO