Thread: Gluing veneer

Gluing veneer

I need a small piece of 1/4" cherry plywood (approx.11" x 24") for the clock I am making. Rather than buy a whole sheet, I thought I would glue a piece of cherry veneer to some birch ply I already have. I have read that solvent based contact cement should not be used if a solvent based finish is to be used. So, should I use yellow glue or water based contact cement (which I have never used) ? Thanks
    Dick

I've used successfully PVA glues (Titebond) to veneer small pieces and like the long open time and the fact it is forgiving (you can reposition the veneer if it shifts around while clamping). Contact cement works but it "grabs" the veneer and holds tight, so you really need to be on your toes during glue up. I've also heard that heat from sunlight or a nearby fireplace will soften a contact cement bond and the veneer can shift. So, I only use contact cement for applying edging or inlay, when I can't easily clamp and actually need its holding ability.

cheers,
    roger

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Holt
    I need a small piece of 1/4" cherry plywood (approx.11" x 24") for the clock I am making. Rather than buy a whole sheet, I thought I would glue a piece of cherry veneer to some birch ply I already have. I have read that solvent based contact cement should not be used if a solvent based finish is to be used. So, should I use yellow glue or water based contact cement (which I have never used) ? Thanks
    Dick

Dick, I haven't done at lot of veneering, but I've used plain yellow glue and it seems to hold up fine. I've heard that it "creeps" some, but I don't think the veneer is under much tension so it shouldn't be a problem.
    Dennis