Thread: Bad Epoxy

Bad Epoxy

I purchased some Loctite brand 60-minute-set epoxy about a week ago and used it yesterday morning to attach some metal corner pieces on a project. This morning, after 24 hours, not only were the glue joints not cured, but the unused epoxy was still very sticky. I could still move the application stick left in it!

If you have any intentions at all (I mean it!) about asking me if I mixed the stuff correctly, please keep that to yourself. I know how to mix epoxy.

Now it has been 36 hours and the stuff has not cured. I moved the workpiece out of the shop (60 fahrenheit) to the kitchen in front of the heater! Not cured yet, and waiting....

I bought the stuff at Lowe's, and I must admit that I am really growing tired of having to mail order everything in the shop. Ok, I know that I cannot buy any hand tools locally, and certainly cannot buy hide glue or good quality hardware, or good quality stationary power tools, but epoxy? Give me a break.
    Last edited by Andrew Williams; 12-17-2007 at 9:08 PM.

You got exactly what I got with LocTite 60 minute epoxy, an old tube. Call the company and let them know. You'll at least get a fresh replacement. I switched to Devcon (?) after wasting tubes for 10 pens.

Something doesn't sound right Andrew.
    I've had that happen on accident when I used a high temp hardner in cold temps.
    Loctite is a different product though. Unless you were outside of the temperature specs, I agree with Bonnie.

Deja Vu....also had bad experience with their epoxy, and had a slight problem with returning an opened kit. The one fluid ran like water and the other was like molasses on a cold morning. How else would the customer know its bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Williams View Post
    I bought the stuff at Lowe's, and I must admit that I am really growing tired of having to mail order everything in the shop. Ok, I know that I cannot buy any hand tools locally, and certainly cannot buy hide glue or good quality hardware, or good quality stationary power tools, but epoxy? Give me a break.
    I know just what you mean. I tried to buy some extended open time glue and/or resin glue locally and couldn't find it in about 8 different stores. Went as far as Williamsport (I was there for something else) and they didn't have it either. WoodCraft has been great lately with their free shipping and I've taken advantage of it. Order it before 2pm and I have it in 2 days flat, FedEx shipping.

Order some System Three epoxy from them and you'll have epoxy that works on Thursday.

Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Berguson View Post

Order some System Three epoxy from them and you'll have epoxy that works on Thursday.

Bryan

Does it only work on Thursdays? lol just kidding, I couldn't resist

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Berguson View Post
    I know just what you mean. I tried to buy some extended open time glue and/or resin glue locally and couldn't find it in about 8 different stores. Went as far as Williamsport (I was there for something else) and they didn't have it either. WoodCraft has been great lately with their free shipping and I've taken advantage of it. Order it before 2pm and I have it in 2 days flat, FedEx shipping.

Bryan
    Oh yes, that's the plan, but I am afraid it is too late now since this project is done. I really don't want to remove the pieces and attempt to clean everything off and re-glue them so I am just hoping that time and heat will cure the stuff. They seem stuck on pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie Campbell View Post
    Does it only work on Thursdays? lol just kidding, I couldn't resist
    If it's Tuesday and you live in PA or NY, Yes! Thanks for the morning chuckle!

Bryan