Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop Safety Rules

How about keeping a clean shop and picking up after yourself. That way you have room to work, don't trip over cords, etc.

You can also find your tools the next time you need them.
    Wood'N'Scout

Never be in to much of a hurry.

I think this one thing is what causes most of my mistakes and potentially an accident. If you are pressed for time, maybe, it's not a good time to be working in the shop.

HTH

If that little voice in your head says that it doesn't quite look right....listen to it.
    Gary

One not mentioned, but also important for home shops IMO, is that your spouse (or whoever would potentially find you in an emergency) should know how to turn all your equipment OFF; either via machine switch or subpanel.

I second Mike/Greg's rule about no one entering the shop while a machine is running.

I also have a set of rules for all major pieces of equipment that our local community college uses if anyone is interested, I could type it in and post.
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cole View Post
    Mike,
    Thats a good one, I have chastised my wife & the boy for opening my shop door and yelling at me over whatever I am trying to do. And NEVER approach me while doing something, even if I can see you coming. But I am guilty of scaring the heck out of LOML when she's got her hair dryer in her ear.

It's things like this we all should read more than once and share. Or else you might be typing one handed for a week er so.

Greg
    I felt bad because I raised my voice when the LOML came in the shop when my back was turned while running the Drill-press & it startled me. I apologized. The LOML now stands outside the door & listens then very quietly opens the door just a little & looks in to see if I am occupied with something that would hurt me if I am distracted. If not then she comes in.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

When working on the Table-saw.. as long as the blade is spinning.....

1. KEEP THE LANE CLEAR...
    And if you have squirrels... power lines and a transformer near...

EXPECT someday to HEAR the sound of a tranformer blow...

Sarge..

keep your hands behind the cutting edge

I have to remind my son that the machines have no remorse and feel no sorrow ( kinda like a Terminator). They will take what you have and won't think twice about it. I need to find some gory pics to show him.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

I have the "3 strikes and you're out rule".

It works like this;

Most accidents do not "just happen". They are the end result, generally due to a lack of attention. (Real ones do happen though, so don't get me wrong.)

There are events and indications that lead up to them. Measuring wrong, marking wrong, setting up a machine or tool incorrectly. making the cut in the wrong place, drilling holes in the wrong place, etc...

If I make 3 mistakes I'm done for the day, because my head certainly isn't in the game that day. It becomes a good day to clean the shop.

Ironically, all of my injuries have been the result of hand tools. What's up with that, huh?
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 12-20-2007 at 6:30 AM.

Valuable

As I walk into my shop I try to remember " Safety First !"
    Almost every tool we use has the ability to do serious damage.But it,s the same in our daily lives.Awareness is so critical. It takes a mere millisecond to do irrepearable damage.Knowledge,skill,patience mean nothing with the slightest lapse in judgement.
    I squirm at the thought at what does happen to the most skilled craftsmen. I for one think this thread should repeat on a weekly basis.