Thread: Cupped Panel - What to do???

Cupped Panel - What to do???

I have two panels made up of 1/4" quilted maple to 5/8" mdf backed with 1/4" plain maple. Size is about 20" x 20". On the flat the cup is 1/8". Now I'm scratching my head on how to straighten them out. BTW they were glued on a veneer press. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

And Merry Christmas

I would try setting the panel cup side down and put a lamp over it. Idea is to gently warm and dry the expanded side to cause it to contract and flatten.
    This is only if you need it flat soon. I have a couple glued up panels for end table tops that I have not got around to for several years, they will cup and flatten depending on how I have them stored. If one side is flush against something the board will cup, set it so there is air circulating both sides and within a week or two it is flat again.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Good suggestion Mike. I'm going to try that.

Blog Entries
    If you used PVA type glue the moisture most likely expanded the side with the glue on it slightly. The veneer press didn't allow the moisture to escape from the centeral area of the glue up. This caused the cupping. The wood may even out in moisture content given a few days drying time and end up flat again.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute