Thread: Combination Hammer Uses (On Topic?)

Combination Hammer Uses (On Topic?)

First off I apologize for asking this since it is not really Woodworking related (Powertools, yes). I hope I'm not in violation of the TOS. If so, please delete it.

I've got a lot of house remodeling projects coming up and I was wondering is a SDS combination rotary hammer would be useful. And if so, what size makes the most sense. They run from $200 for a SDS version up to $800 for big SDS-max versions.

Here's my list of jobs that I may be able to use it for:
    1. Enlarge the side door to the garage. This would require removing a little bit of the slab foundation.
    2. Drill holes in the foundation to attach a ledger for a deck
    3. Dig a trench for a new water line to the garden
    4. Remove concrete footings for an already existing deck to be removed
    5. Dig up some small stumps ~9" diameter
    6. Dig up more area for the garden in moist, heavy clay soil.
    7. Remove large pavers in side yard to prep for poured concrete pad
    8. Dig holes for new fence posts to replace existing fence in some parts and enlarge fence (new holes) in others
    9. Dig holes for new tree plantings
    10. Scrape off tile for a bath/shower demo

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Matt,

I have a basement shop. The walls are poured concrete and concrete block. After struggling with a 3/8" power drill and masonery bits for a couple of years, I bought a Bosch "Bulldog" 7/8" SDS rotary hammer. It's one of the best investments I've ever made. I don't use it every day, but when I need it, there's nothing like it for drilling concrete, brick, block and just about anything else. I bought a standard chuck accessory for it, and it is now my BIG drill for everything else that my regular hand drills can't handle. I'm a fan.

It sounds like your renovation project invoves a lot of work I've never done with my Bulldog, like demolition and such. I've never used a chisel in mine, so I'm not much help advising you what kind or size to buy. I can tell you that the 7/8" one I have has been plenty large and powerful enough for my uses in my workshop and around the house. I can also tell you that the Bosch factory rep advised me to avoid buying a "hammer drill" and to go with a "rotary hammer" instead. The two tools use different technologies and the rotary hammer is more robust than a hammer drill. My Bulldog SDS is a true rotary hammer and I've been very pleased with it. Having never used a hammer drill, I can't compare the two, but from the description of the work you have in mind and what the Bosch guy told me, I suggest you stick with an SDS rotary hammer of some kind.

My $.02

Hank

Matt, the Bosch line of hammers is excellent. For general use including light chipping and digging with a spade bit I would get the Bosch 11241EVS.You should go try it out before you buy so you can see the size and feel the weigh. I also have the Bulldog for small concrete drilling. The Hilti line is great but much more money for a similar hammer.

Dan

Hi Matt,

I am just finishing a major house remodeling, and new shop project. When I started I was trying to decide the same thing as you. A few of my friends told me to just rent one because they are so expensive. However, I decided to buy one.

I purchased the larger Bosch SDX Max, 11230EVS. I think it was like $750.00 or so. That turned out to be one of the best purchases I have made. I have used it more times than I can count. In fact, I have had subs doing work that used my Bosch because their hammer was to small. I have done a lot of drilling, digging, and demo work with mine.

Sam

Bosch seems to be the best bet

Hank,

I quickly came to the conclusion that a hammer drill would not be sufficient. The bulldog you use is on my short list although it may not have the chipping power I need. I already have a beefy D-handle 1/2" drill so the straight drilling jobs are covered already.

Dan,

The Bosch model you mention is exactly the one I was considering. At $470 it's a bit spendy, but if it does the trick it would be worth it. Not that I am made of money, but I am more constrained by time. Any tool I can get that will make jobs faster will be worth it. As I mentioned, it would have paid for itself already if I had bought it at the get go.

I'm not too worried about the weight. I'm still fairly young and strong.

The one real question mark I have is about the digging. I am having trouble envisioning how that would work. I assume one has to still shovel out the loose dirt(?). How deep can you dig?

Thanks,

Matt

You can get a shovel attachmet for the sds max. It will not dig a hole for you. It will break up the dirt, just as a pick will do. Then you have to use a shovel to remove the dirt. I have used mine to dig holes about two feet in dia, and about three feet deep. In digging such a hole you can not get a pick down that deep. However, the sds max hammer will break up the dirt and allow you to use a shovel to remove the dirt. I have also used mine to dig trenches for water and electric. A pick will do the same thing. The hammer just makes it easer. You still have to use a shovel to remove the dirt. A friend of mine uses one to dig holes to plant, plants. His soil is very hard.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Layton View Post
    You can get a shovel attachmet for the sds max. It will not dig a hole for you. It will break up the dirt, just as a pick will do. Then you have to use a shovel to remove the dirt. I have used mine to dig holes about two feet in dia, and about three feet deep. In digging such a hole you can not get a pick down that deep. However, the sds max hammer will break up the dirt and allow you to use a shovel to remove the dirt. I have also used mine to dig trenches for water and electric. A pick will do the same thing. The hammer just makes it easer. You still have to use a shovel to remove the dirt. A friend of mine uses one to dig holes to plant, plants. His soil is very hard.

Sam
    Thanks Sam - I finally get it. Maybe an even better analogy than a pick is a digging bar. That is some miserable work!

Matt