Thread: My First Euro's

Blog Entries

My First Euro's

More Christmas Presents. These are Chechen, Lacewood and Tamboti. I only have about 10 more to do before Saturday and I'm all out of kits.

Have a Nice Day!

Jon:

Nice looking pens. I started turning the Euro's recently and really like the feel of the pen.

How did the Tamboti work out for you? What kind of finish did you use? I made a cigar with Tamboti and found it very oily, clogged up the sand paper quickly. I use micro mesh on all my pens but couldn't with the Tamboti, still turned out nice sanded to 600 grit.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Behnke View Post
    How did the Tamboti work out for you? What kind of finish did you use? I made a cigar with Tamboti and found it very oily, clogged up the sand paper quickly. I use micro mesh on all my pens but couldn't with the Tamboti, still turned out nice sanded to 600 grit.
    Well, What I decided to do was after the skew, I put on some thin Ca. Then I took some 1000 grit with Mineral Oil and sanded so I had a bit of a slurry. Wiped off excess oil and then used some 2000 grit.

After that I used Medium Ca with a BLO immediate pressure treatment. #3 coats following that step. Pretty much it.
    Have a Nice Day!

Very nice pens. I have a really dumb neophyte question....what is "Medium Ca with a BLO immediate pressure treatment". I am new to woodworking and trying to learn as much as possible. If you don't mind...which supplier do you recommend for pen kits.
    thank you
    joe

Very nice pens Jon! I'll be turning my first Euro tomorrow. Any special tips on euros?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie Campbell View Post
    Very nice pens Jon! I'll be turning my first Euro tomorrow. Any special tips on euros?
    Bonnie:

Be careful not to cut the tenon too small, otherwise you will need to glue the center band in place - I speak from experience!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Just View Post
    Bonnie:

Be careful not to cut the tenon too small, otherwise you will need to glue the center band in place - I speak from experience!
    I always glue my center rings in anyway.

If you like the Euro pens check out the deco style. The pocket clip has a much cleaner look imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lopez View Post
    Very nice pens. I have a really dumb neophyte question....what is "Medium Ca with a BLO immediate pressure treatment". I am new to woodworking and trying to learn as much as possible. If you don't mind...which supplier do you recommend for pen kits.
    thank you
    joe
    CA refers to cyanoacrylate glue, more commonly known as super glue, and the "medium" refers to it's viscosity. There are several finish methods for pens and smaller turned items that use CA, some of which also use BLO (boiled linseed oil).

As far as pen kit suppliers, I use a couple depending on what type of kits I need. I have found the prices and service at beartooth woods to be very good. CSUSA (woodturnerscatalog.com) has several nicer kits that only they carry, and I buy a lot kits from them also. Many turners I know buy their kits from arizona silhouette, penn state industries, or berea.

Thank you Jason. That will take me far.

Great looking pens, Jon.
    That's not a light at the end of the tunnel; It's a naked singularity.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III

Jon,

Nice looking pens.

Are they similar to turning a Classic American flat top? Are the busings the same?

Looking for some other kits besides Slimlines, Cigars, and Classic Americans...

Thanks,
    jim

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Podsedly View Post
    Jon,

Nice looking pens.

Are they similar to turning a Classic American flat top? Are the busings the same?

Looking for some other kits besides Slimlines, Cigars, and Classic Americans...

Thanks,
    jim
    I've not done any American flat tops so I'm not sure if the bushings would be the same or not. I would think not, they couldn't make any more money off you if they were the same.
    Have a Nice Day!

Great looking pens Jon. Well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.