Thread: Anyone Ever Go Pawnshopping?

Anyone Ever Go Pawnshopping?

Stopped in a local Pawn shop yesterday to see what kind of tools ended up there. I was impressed with how many, especially air nailers and circular saws.

What further impressed me was the prices. I think everything was marked way up for used tools. Anyone ever bought tools from a pawn shop? Are the prices negotiable. For example there was a Skil Plunge Router 1 3/4 hp., obviously used but ran OK, for $75. I would think as a used tool it would be a good price at $35.

Saw all kinds of air nail guns with what I thought high prices for used, but if prices are negotiable there was some nice tools there.

Can those folks be argued down? I know that you can debate any price with anyone but is that the standard in a pawn shop, should you expect to pay less than what they have the things marked? If so, what is reasonable to expect?

Not by Me

I've never had any luck and I agree the prices are high. The only thing I've ever bought was a machinist's tool chest. Since it didn't have any electrons to worry about I was pleased with the purchase but it wasn't a bargain.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Pawn Shopping? I Love Pawn Shopping!

Whenever (which use to be often) I’m in Okieland, (home of Bob and Wolf) I’ll browse the pawn shops for things I can’t live without. I started my massive tool collection in a pawnshop in OKC 30 years ago. You can see many sad events and life dramas unfold before your eyes. Another thread in a different forum.
    I restrict my purchases to durable goods. wrenches, sockets, hammers, and things I can really test out on the spot. I’ll go with a shopping list, things I’ve already researched. There aren’t many really good deals any more IMHO.
    Good Hunting.

A lot of the goods ........can be trace to construction sight ...borrowed from the boss if you know what I mean They are highly regulated now days.

Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 02-23-2004 at 3:11 AM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Typically I find power tools in pawn shops way overused and way overpriced. I do see wrenches from time to time that are cheap, but I rarely go to pawn shops.

I had the same experience a couple months ago. I have picked up a few nice firearms at pawnshops, and the prices are usually pretty reasonable. Decided to give a look at the tools at one of the places I had been in before, but never browsed the tools before. There were some tools, mostly corded and pneumatic, but heavily used and close to new price. Not sure what the deal is there. I asked but the reply that I got from the lady there at the time was that the prices were as marked, period. Not sure how other places would handle it. Might depend on how long they've been sitting on it. After a while the inventory not moving would have to get to them, I'd think.

Monte

I've always found prices either at or above retail. I don't get it...? Pawn shops are now off of my "I've time to kill, what can I do" list.

I went into a pawn shop in LA once and the guy behind the counter was doing something on Ebay. Maybe they put the prices according to what they can get on Ebay.

I go to pawn shops a lot....I am mostly looking for hand tools...I have gotten real good deals on some things such as a Greenlee slick and older Greenlee chisels....occassionally I'll find a good user Stanley or Millers Falls plane as well.....(then again, one place had a $65.00 price on a rusted Ward's plane..)I have never bought a corded tool 'cause I just don't trust em to last and are always overpriced....Oh, and one time I got 7 beautiful natural bristle brushes by Morck and Purdy for a buck each!...I find that drywall, concrete and paint supplies are most reasonable in my area....2 good grout floats with some psa-backed sandpaper attached work well as push blocks on my jointer and only cost me $3 for both....loose misc. tools are cheap also...a screwdriver or pliers....wrenches and hammers....things like that.....There is a pawn shop in my area that has a Delta grinder/sharpener with knife attachment for $99.00 (the water dispenser that sits on top is missing).
    I thought about it but I just bought an air cleaner for $200.00 so I'm not ready to part with any more of my cash at the moment.
    I go in without expectations and sometimes I get lucky...Hope you do too.

Greg

I figure most used tools shouldn't cost over 1/2 what was paid for them when new. If they want more it better look almost brand new.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

I have a couple of friends/aquaintences that are pawn dealers. Typically what they take in are products from folks who are hurting for cash, products that are worthless, or stolen goods. Of course they try to avoid the last two. So you are still up in the air about the condition of the products. These guys will normally come down in price. Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. I would make an offer that is less than what I would give (a reasonable value) and see what they counter. These guys deal with an amazing variety of products. Sometimes the prices will be reasonable, sometimes way too high, and sometimes a real bargain. Just decide what is reasonable before you pay the price. And most offer no guarantees, so keep that in mind.

David

If the practice of pawn shops is universal then the prices are negotiable.
    I saw a good camera bag in a local shop, price $45, hassled the guy behind the counter and got it for $12.
    I have looked at the tools but am concerned that what I am seeing is some tradesman's cast off.

Around here, I have often seen tools priced at or above retail, and beat-up to boot. However, I know that they will dicker on price, and I have a friend who knows the shop owner, so I don't buy anything without going through him first. They gotta put a high price on there to begin with, since they know you're going to try to negotiate. Helps if you can say, "Borg X sells this for $Y new, surely you don't expect anyone to buy this beat-up one for the same price?"
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I'm a terrible pawnshopper, guess it's the old "hoping to find a Stradivarius in a junkyard" syndrome.

I do find most overpriced, but they will negotiate. I was in one the other day that had a 30-50% off sale, depending on how long the stuff had been sitting. Among the tempting items were a Freud SD208 dado set for 39.95 (less 30% and in good shape). The other was a Milwaukee 4-piece 18v combo in with the bag and 1 battery. It was well used but functional.

I don't need either one, but was tempted to buy and auction them on Ebay.

The pawnbrokers do often sell on ebay and use it for reference.