Thread: Is this possible?

Is this possible?

Hi - I lurk on the power tools side - this is the first time I have ever visited this forum. I want to make a flag case for my father who was a SeaBee during WWII. They have an emblem ( a flying bee with a gun, tools, etc) you may have seen. I have a cloth patch of that emblem. My question is what do you need in order to engrave that emblem onto a piece of wood? Can it be resized during the process? I assume you need some sort of digital image - is there a standard way to get a digital copy made? Thanks for your help.

looks like their is a lot

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/HP_ADM%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/HP_ADM%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]

looks like their is a lot Of Seabee art on the net. The optimal file would be a vector rendering of the logo. Here is a clipart i found on the gov. web site.
    Looks like the one I had on my arm in the 80’s.
    Jim J.

Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Camaster Cobra 408 working table size 48 x 98
    Wincnc,AspireII,PhotoVcarve,Cut3D
    HX6090SE 60Wworking table 23”X36”
    LaserCut 5.3
    Coreldraw X3, photograV 3.0, Photozoom3

Sawmill Creek is financed in part through member contributions.
    Many members just like you have found extraordinary value in becoming a financial supporter of SMC.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal McCormick View Post
    Hi - I lurk on the power tools side - this is the first time I have ever visited this forum. I want to make a flag case for my father who was a SeaBee during WWII. They have an emblem ( a flying bee with a gun, tools, etc) you may have seen. I have a cloth patch of that emblem. My question is what do you need in order to engrave that emblem onto a piece of wood? Can it be resized during the process? I assume you need some sort of digital image - is there a standard way to get a digital copy made? Thanks for your help.
    Neal:
    To answer your question, the image James has found for you as shown will engrave just fine. If it can be acquired in vector format, all the better. It would probably need to be resized to meet your needs. Wood is a very engravable material up to a point. Some woods don't laser engrave as well as others. Red Alder happens to be my favorite, but others such as birch do well. Lighter colored woods give the best contrast also.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Ed Newbold Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal McCormick View Post
    I can vectorize it and cut it oout for you, if you like. What size do you need it to be?

Cheers,

Thanks!

Thanks for the responses! Ed - I haven't gotten that far in the process yet but I will let you know when that time comes. I have 3 kids at OSU so I am in effect close to you.

Neal,

I have an image similar to that in vector format. If you still need it let me know and I'll upload it.
    Last edited by Jody Malinich; 12-20-2007 at 2:09 PM. Reason: grammar

Also, if you want it engraved on the case itself, it will almost certainly have to be done before the case is assembled.

DAMHIKT.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Here you are.. In Version 8
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Q. What do you need in order to engrave that emblem onto a piece of wood?
    A. A piece of wood with a flat surface

Q. Can it be resized during the process?
    A. Yup

Q. I assume you need some sort of digital image - is there a standard way to get a digital copy made
    A. If there isn't clipart available (and there obviously is in your case) take a photo with a digital camera. Get all of your logo in the shot; try to photograph it straight on; and YOU may know what is underneath the flash reflection, but your engraver may not.

Q. I didn't ask this question.
    A. Yeah, but. Try to submit images at 300dpi at the size you want it to be.