Thread: laser cutting vinyl

laser cutting vinyl

My sister wants me to make some lettering from vinyl or whatever it is with my laser. Is there some material that I can cut with the laser to make it for her. She knows where I live so I have to try something. I told her I could cut some 1/8" acrylic but she wants a sign "like the one next door." I know nothing of signmaking and the only thing I knew before joining SMC the only thing I knew about my laser was where the on switch was, after reading the manual.
    Thanks
    Bill

What's she going to do with the letters? You can use Rowmark Laserthins
    which have adhesive back and cut nicely. The real sign vinyl contains PVC and therefore is not good for the laser though some people feel a small quantity once in a while is not a big deal. There are polyester films available but they are hard to find, not available in many colors. I'd suggest finding someone with a plotter in the area and have them cut the lettering for you, probably work out cheaper in the longrun considering time is money.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Bill, Joe Pelonio makes a LOT of vinyl signs with his laser, so he will be THE one to help you with this dilemma. I'm sure he'll chime in here shortly!

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Now that made me laugh!!!
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

He got his answer posted before I did!!!!

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    What's she going to do with the letters? You can use Rowmark Laserthins
    which have adhesive back and cut nicely. The real sign vinyl contains PVC and therefore is not good for the laser though some people feel a small quantity once in a while is not a big deal. There are polyester films available but they are hard to find, not available in many colors. I'd suggest finding someone with a plotter in the area and have them cut the lettering for you, probably work out cheaper in the longrun considering time is money.
    Joe:
    Is that Laser Thins or LaserLights? I looked on Rowmarks site for Laser Thins and didn't see it right off.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Sorry, it is LaserLights. LaserThins is the IPI version.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    Sorry, it is LaserLights. LaserThins is the IPI version.
    OK..glad you told me about IPI. Somehow I just always think of Rowmark when I think of engraving plastics. I have used the LaserLights and it works very well. It's almost as thin as plotter vinyl.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

I'd just be careful about using it in full sun in a nice weather area, because it's not going to hold up 7-8 years like vinyl. Here we only get sun for 2 months so it's not nearly as much of an issue.

Sammamish, WA

Thanks for the feedback from everyone. My two sisters opened a coffeeshop and the sign is for the window. I think the letters are about a foot high. My gal friend where I get my acrylic is making phone calls for me. I mentioned what I was looking for and as you said, it's hard to find. My alternative is to cut the letters out of some 1/8th" mirrored acrylic I have around here someplace.

Thanks
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Morrison View Post
    Thanks for the feedback from everyone. My two sisters opened a coffeeshop and the sign is for the window. I think the letters are about a foot high. My gal friend where I get my acrylic is making phone calls for me. I mentioned what I was looking for and as you said, it's hard to find. My alternative is to cut the letters out of some 1/8th" mirrored acrylic I have around here someplace.

Thanks
    Bill
    Bill,

Mirror letters make a very attractive sign. Buy or cut (saw, not laser) a piece of 1/4" or even 1/8" Black PVC, such as Sintra or Komatex for the background. It's sort of a matte finish. Then glue on the mirror acrylic letters. Actually you could use matte black acrylic, but most of those are just regular black with matte black vinyl on one side.

Use VHB foam tape or special mirror adhesive though, some adhesives are not compatible with the back of the mirror and will mess it up.

This is one I did with 1/4" mirror, the picture isn't very good though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sammamish, WA