Thread: Plaque tape failed

Plaque tape failed

Now this should not be that hard, but I just started to add plaques to my list of can do's.....But can I??
    The first job I took on was for 6 plaques 8 X 8 plates on a wooden base.
    Lasering went OK.
    Applied "Plaque tape" to cover the 2 verticale edges
    Searched past posts to get ideas on how to line things up, picked one and folowed that.
    Looked great when I was done, customer loved them.
    One week later 3 of the plates fell off???
    Now I re-called all the plaques.
    I know I have to replace the plates that fell off, as they are bent from falling and I want them to be good, BUT....I do not want any more to fall off.

What went wrong? The tape stayed on the plate and the wood is clean as can be. Do I need to prepare the wood first? Is the finish to slippery? I got the wood from JDS.
    Are there better tapes, got this from LaserBits.

Thanks for any idea's on this. (If you know of other hidden dangers to watch for, feel free to share that as well.)

If the wood has an oil finish meant to be engraved without leaving residue, it may be that the adhesive will not stick to the wax. I'd suggest trying one
    where you use denatured alcohol to clean an area in the center of the wood
    (so that if it damages the finish it won't show) then try the tape there.

I find the best tape to be what I get from my local sign supply called "banner tape" that's made for hemming vinyl banners, it seems to stick to anything forever but nothing sticks to wax.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I'll second Joe's recommendation. I bought a roll on his recommendation a few months back. Stickiest tape I've ever seen in my life.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I get mine from jds and it's been very good.
    Usually destroys the plaque or the brass when you
    try to remove it.
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

I'm with Brian. I buy the best quality from JDS and have had only one failure in 9 years. That was a plastic sign in a kitchen in a high humidity environment.

No plates ever came off plaques. I buy my plaques from JDS as well.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I use carpet tape myself. You can get it at just about any hardware store and it sticks very well.

I'm with Brain and Mike - the Gold-Line Premium Tape (Tesa) is the only stuff I use. My partner calls it the Gorilla Tape compared to his ATG brand and uses it on his frames when he needs the extra grab. Otherwise, he doesn't like it because it tears or destroys anything it's taken off of.

BTW - the 2" disk tape destroys what they touch as well if you have to do lots of 2" disks.

Steve
    Steve Beckham

Epilog Mini 24 with 45 Watt, Ricoh GX 7000 Sublimation, Corel X3, Corel X4 and PhotoGrav, Recently replaced the two 'used' SWF machines with brand new Barudans.

If I think the standard double sided tape supplied by the engraving supply places won't work due to high humidity etc, I just put a smear of GE or 3m Silicone adh. on the back, and let it sit overnight.. I have engraved a number of legend plates, and other plastic stuff for use in hyperbaric chambers, and told them to fit them into place with the slicone on the back, and tape them overnight just to keep them in place.. All have withstood years of bounce dives to 165 feet, and the resulting vapour clouds that appear on returning to 1 ata. as well as the periodic 'hose-out' of the chamber for cleaning..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it