Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Plane... The Plane...

The Plane... The Plane...

Yet another "looking for plane purchase advice". To recap the history (from this thread):

Anat planes get a pretty universal thumbs down.

Groz gets "ok as a beater plane" - some people are even pretty happy with 'em. Then again - alot of "save your money" comments.

LN and Lee Valley planes walk on water, occasionally walk above water.

Clifton (don't hear much about them), but a Bench Plane is like $300 (on par with LV and LN) - are those any good? For the price - I'd think LN or LV....

What about the Bailey planes at WoodCraft? The first thing I see wrong with them is the plastic handle (tendency to crack and break during use). It's not a fatal flaw, since someone (Highland? I think) carries replacement wood handles.

I'm looking to "get started" with planes. $300 for one is a bit steep (maybe I might get one plane every other year....) So far, I've had the (typical?) bad experiences with block planes (OLD WWII Stanley) - I can't seem to "make it work".

Right now, a "beater plane" sounds pretty good. I'm thinking about the Groz on sale at WoodCraft.

Personally, I would look for a "beater" Stanley Bailey on ebay or at flea markets. May take a little work to get cleaned and ready, but you cna find some nice ones for what you'll pay for the "beater" Groz. Plus, email guys like Clint Jones. There are a number of members here who sell decent planes on a regular basis for reasonable prices.

Just my advice, so take it or leave it as you will.

Brian shoot me a pm. -Clint

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Dormer View Post

What about the Bailey planes at WoodCraft? The first thing I see wrong with them is the plastic handle (tendency to crack and break during use). It's not a fatal flaw, since someone (Highland? I think) carries replacement wood handles.

I'm looking to "get started" with planes. $300 for one is a bit steep (maybe I might get one plane every other year....) So far, I've had the (typical?) bad experiences with block planes (OLD WWII Stanley) - I can't seem to "make it work".

Right now, a "beater plane" sounds pretty good. I'm thinking about the Groz on sale at WoodCraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Tiell View Post
    Personally, I would look for a "beater" Stanley Bailey on ebay or at flea markets. May take a little work to get cleaned and ready, but you cna find some nice ones for what you'll pay for the "beater" Groz. Plus, email guys like Clint Jones. There are a number of members here who sell decent planes on a regular basis for reasonable prices.

Just my advice, so take it or leave it as you will.
    Those WWII planes your talking about would be considered beater planes. The new Stanleys at Woodcraft, you will find will be comparable to them, most likely. Most of this is our lack of understanding how to clean up and tune a plane. Some is the newer planes aren't the quality of the older planes.
    I second the Clint recommendation, and I haven't even bought one of his yet (just read lot's from him and his customers). There is also Rarebear (spelling?) over at Woodnet, that people recommend. I would buy two from them, one bench and one block similar to what you own. Then you can learn to clean up/tune up your planes you already have, and keep your eyes out at garage sales.

As a first plane, I'd get a block plane. Either the LV LA block or the LN 60 1/2. The LV is around $90. IMO, you need to learn to sharpen and use a decent plane before you try to tune and use a beater.
    Jay St. Peter

Brian, I have a couple of Cliftons and yes, they are comparable to the LN and LV. However, I'd recommend you contact Clint for some good "starter" planes and learn to sharpen and use them before investing in the more expensive planes. Just my 2 cents.

Please please email clint, he will get you started on the right path. I'd go for a pre WWII bailey that has been tuned up for you so you know what you're shooting for and looking for with your subsequent plane purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by JayStPeter View Post
    As a first plane, I'd get a block plane. Either the LV LA block or the LN 60 1/2. The LV is around $90. IMO, you need to learn to sharpen and use a decent plane before you try to tune and use a beater.
    Craftsman Studio still has the Lie Nielsen Low Angle block for $75 delivered. That's the one I got for learning what a fine plane is supposed to be.

I may be the only one to use Mujingfangs from Japan Woodworker, but the Rosewood Jack, Rosewood Smoother and the Rosewood High Angle polish plane are amazing planes for $35 $29 and $50.

Those 4 fine planes total about $200 delivered. All are users (pretty, too!)
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Brian, get a refurbished pre-WWII Stanley Bailey from one of the respected people here. Clint does superb work. He said to shoot him a PM. I wouldn't pass that up! Your first two planes should be a #4 or #5, and a low angle block plane. Add a shoulder plane and a #7 jointer after that.

2 months ago I bought the Veritas® Low-Angle Block Plane. Now I own a decent collection of Stanley block planes. I also bought a couple of extras for users.

I've now decided to display most of them and slowly purchase LV planes.

Yes, they may be more expensive, but if you have the time to tune one up great. Me, I've decided to use use today's planes for work and admire the ingenuity and skill that went into making the planes of yore.

For me, the history and develpment planes have gone throught are
    exciting.

But I have some that haven't been reproduced/redesigned yet, so those may make it to my work bench.

AH! for a redesigned/reproduced Stanley No 55.

Better yet, anyone selling one here for a decent price.

11. Opinions are like bellybuttons, we all got one, but the common wisdom that you have to get a pre WWII stanley bench plane is not all that true in my view; I have a few War era planes that are fine performers; you get into the "lesser" planes once you get into the 60's and 70's production, at least in bench planes, as some "maroon" block planes are ok. RN

PM sent to Clint.

Thanks to everyone for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Dormer View Post
    PM sent to Clint.

Thanks to everyone for the info.
    Now you're on the right path.,
    The LN's, LV's and other hi zoot planes can come later. Get planes you can use now. It will make buying the big $$$$ planes a more informed decision in the future.

Clifton...the other water walker..

I have a Clifton 03 that I had to spend just a little time fettling. I had to true the bottom just a bit..maybe 15 min worth. Other than that, the little tyke really does a great job. Very well made. The blade keeps it's edge very well, not like A2 or O2 or a cryo blade. It does sharpen up quickly and it will take a < 1 thou shaving easily.

One thing that surprised me about the 03 vs the 04 was that the smaller size makes the work effortless. Oak, purple heart etc. When I bought mine at Highland Hardware they were out of stock on the 04...turned out lucky for me.

Just a vote for Clifton but don't think I don't like my low angle LN. It's a beauty! The Clifton cost about $40 less at that time and it's on par with the LN in my opinion.

Regards and happy shavings.

[quote=Brian Kent;724134]Craftsman Studio still has the Lie Nielsen Low Angle block for $75 delivered. That's the one I got for learning what a fine plane is supposed to be.

Thanks for the tip, Brian. Just ordered one. Good value on a great LA block and no freight. Thanks
    Jerry