Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Desk, Christmas gift

Thanks for all the kind words.

Thanks for the kind words guys. Jim the desk was not a totally Neander undertaking, however I probably produced enough hand plane shavings during this desk project to fill up a 55 gallon drum 5 times. All the flat surfaces were refined with the use of a Lie-Nielsen #4 and the last passes to achieve the final surfaces were done with an infill plane with a 50 degreed bed angle and a .004 mouth. I straighten all the critical mating edges with a #7 Stanley jointer and then cleaned them up with one of my small infill smoothers.

The real time consuming part of this project was the reverse engineering and the multitude of templates that had to be made to create the shape of the ends of the upper case and the tambour track. Given the complex nature of the top case, one has to be careful to design things so that they can be assembled once all the parts are made and finished.

My mantra during this project was "Shavings here, shavings there, handplane shavings everywhere."

Truthfully the amount of sanding that planes saved me on this project was astounding. I only had to sand the areas refined with planes with one grit in order to have them ready for finishing. The crazy thing is, in order to get the color that I was able to achieve on this piece I actually had to take the smoothed planed surfaces and rough them back up with 150 grit sandpaper.

Ron

Ron, May be the nicest desk I have ever seen. Please post the inside when you are done. Also, a quick word about Sherwin Williams. I have nothing to do with the co. except as a customer. I just finished a project where they worked with my wife getting the exact color of stain. It took me 5 weeks to complete my project, and about that much time and at least 10 trips to Sherwin Williams to get the stain color just right. They kept adding dye (no charge) to the original quart of stain until my wife was happy. John

You did an awesome job on that desk Ron!! You can chalk this up as a "Job Well Done"!

Cool

Ron, that desk is fantastic!! I'd love the see the finished interior when it's installed. It sounds like the desk will be a cherished piece in someone's restored home.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Awe inspiring work, very nice.

What a beautiful gift.

This is an absolutely stunning gift and I think it will bring tears of joy...
    Someone was so kind to replace a favorite piece of furniture for someone.