Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive workshop options

Inexpensive workshop options

I'm in a bit of a pickle here, and hoped you fine creekers could help me out yet again.

Being a newbie, I don't currently have a working workshop. I had been planning on using the 16x20 garage in my back yard as a shop once it has been cleaned out and some minor repairs made. However, that changed Wednesday morning about 3:00 AM.

About that time, my maternal Grandmother passed away after several days in a coma. About six years ago, when my uncle passed away, she had purchased a duplex in a nicer area of town. She lived in one side, my mother in the other. This was so my Mom could help her out, and Mom got a nice home rent free. We then moved into our current home (formerly my mother's home).

Now that my Grandmother has passed away, my wife and I have agreed to move into her former home. We will pay rent, but Mom has already consented to let me have a workshop in the back of the house (she wants bookshelves after all ). Now, it's 1:51 AM on the morning of the funeral, and frankly I'm trying to keep my mind off of the various things that will cause me to lose it, and just the thought of woodworking has been wonderful for that. Granted, most of you could probably care less about why I'll be moving, but for some reason I felt I should share.

This leads me to my problem. There is a decent sized back yard, but a very limited budget (at the moment, there is precisely $0 set aside). Obviously, this will change as I'm able to save up, but I'm trying to get an idea of how much will be necessary.

As for existing areas, there is a screened in porch, measuring roughly 8'x8', and a patio measuring roughly 8'x12' or so with no roofing or walls of any type. I had thought about just screening in the patio for the time being and using that, but I actually prefer for it to be open if it's not a permanent workshop solution.

Currently, I only own a circular saw, compound miter saw, drill, stuff like that. I need to get a router, and have been working toward a table saw, but now have to question whether that is a possibility.

Any help you good folks can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tom

Thomas, First off let me say I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune. As far as the shop goes, most will say build it bigger. If all you have is the patio area, at least enclose it securely to keep your tools "your tools". You could get away with some benchtop machines that will keep you busy until such time when you can afford higher end floor models. Possibly work in the garage or basement if there is one which are usually enclosed and have some wiring and HVAC system already installed. If you use the patio, you could go the manual handtool route and all you would need is a good bench and a tool cabinet for tools. For power tools, a contractor type saw on a mobile base with a good accurate fence would be a nice start and maybe a router set up in the extension wing would kill two birds and can be rolled against the wall when not in use. The rest could be stored on or under the bench and brought out when needed.
    Last edited by Michael Gibbons; 12-21-2007 at 6:08 AM.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

Hello,
    I need to get a router, and have been working toward a table saw, but now have to question whether that is a possibility.
    Quickly get yourself over to Amazon (dot) com and order the Porter Cable 690 for $87.00.
    Take advantage of the free sander offer - a 5" ROS for free.
    Check off normal shipping at the checkout instead of the faster option.

That 690 normally sells for $120 to $150 w/out the free sander. The sander is normally a $50 item.

Also - you might want to dig up a thread I started about a month ago about the central power tool in the shop. While it was overwhelmingly a table saw, there were a few posts where people had other options.

Personally, I'm leaning very heavily towards a router as the central tool w/the table saw not even in the picture - for the time being.
    Then again - I'm a "newbie" too so what do I know ?
    Well, other than the price on the PC router is an incredible deal.

Another piece of advice I can offer is to do a search for Nissim Avrahami here. Nissim lives in Poland where there isn't an Ace, Home Depot or Lowes on every corner. I'm constantly in awe of the creative workarounds he has for the things we here in the US take for granted/rush out and buy.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 12-21-2007 at 5:43 AM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Thanks folks. During the last few hours, I stumbled across a mobile base for the table saw (a belt driven bench top selected due to cost, and that the one person I've talked to who owns one seems to love it). I also found some plans for flip top work stations that will give me work surfaces or bench top machines, depending on my needs.

In my original post, I had forgotten about how there is a storage room off the screened in porch, that's just marginally smaller than the porch itself. So, my plan is currently thus:

-Jet 708315 LSB table saw on mobile base with fold down outfeed table stored in porch area and moved out to patio for cutting larger stock.

-Workbench and tool cabinet in storage room.

-Router table in Storage room

-Miter saw setup on saw horses on patio when needed, stored under work surface otherwise.

In time, these are additional plans for the same area.

-Bench top planer and joiner on flip-top work stations on porch where they can be wheeled out onto patio when needed, but will work as additional work surfaces otherwise.

-Drill press on stand in storage room with mortiser attachment (maybe with the attachment...haven't heard how they actually work but I like the idea of the versatility on this one)

-Some means of spray finishes on back porch with a movable plastic "room" to prevent particles from screwing up the finish.

Unfortunately, in south Georgia, basements are rare and garages aren't necessarily common. The duplex has neither, but I've started looking at this as a challenge instead of a problem. I can still to good work, I just have to figure out new and interesting ways to do it

I'll have to build one of those metal storage buildings in the back yard for my wife though. Otherwise, she'd never forgive me for taking the storage room . At least I won't have to work in a metal building during the brutal Georgia summers

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Knighton View Post
    I'll have to build one of those metal storage buildings in the back yard for my wife though. Otherwise, she'd never forgive me for taking the storage room .
    Years ago, I bought one of those, got it home, opened it up, looked at the parts and instructions... then returned it for a refund, took the money to the lumber yeard and built a real shed out of wood.

Never once regretted that decision.
    “I don’t have a lot of tools because it doesn’t take many to make furniture.” - Rob Millard

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Knighton View Post
    ...she had purchased a duplex in a nicer area of town...my wife and I have agreed to move into her former home. We will pay rent...There is a decent sized back yard, but a very limited budget (at the moment, there is precisely $0 set aside). Obviously, this will change as I'm able to save up...I need to get a router, and have been working toward a table saw, but now have to question whether that is a possibility.
    Hi Tom. First, I'm very sorry for your loss, and my condolences go to you and your loved ones.

About woodworking...this probably isn't the answer you'd like to hear, and you'll probably hear a lot of strong reactions against if from other Creekers, but I'll offer it with the best of intentions.

If you're interested in woodworking only as a satisfying pastime, then I doubt you'd need anything other than some good-quality used hand tools and shop-made jigs. The guys in the "Neander" forum here should be able to help you with choosing the tools and the names of some reputable dealers. Going this route has several advantages: (1) it can be less expensive than buying electric tools; (2) it doesn't make much noise (if you're in a nice part of town, your neighbors may strongly object to the noise of electric tools); and (3) it takes less space because you won't have big machines to keep out of the weather, and if the winters are mild in your area, you may be able to get by with your screened porch as your workshop.

On the other hand, if your goal is maximizing finished projects in the amount of time you have, then there's a real advantage to having machine tools. Woodworking may be a satisfying hobby, but even so it's a small-scale industrial manufacturing effort. You're not just going to need a TS and a router. You'll also need a planer and it would be nice to have a jointer and a band saw and another router dedicated to a router table. You'll need an indoor area for this, so you'll need dust collection--more noise and more money. You'll end up spending several thousands of dollars for the tools, and probably another couple of thousand for the workshop. That will delay your ability to buy a home--a serious reversal of priorities, IMO.

I hope I'm not coming across as a "dream killer," because I'm not telling you anything that I didn't tell myself for many years. I put off having a workshop for what seemed like ages until my wife and I could afford to buy a home--I was 41 years old! I have no regrets about waiting. No hobby, no matter how fulfilling, will give you the secure feeling of owning a home and having a nest egg in the bank. Those things can also take a lot of stress off a marriage and make life more enjoyable in other ways.

Whatever your decision, I wish you all the best.

Regards,

John
    What this world needs is a good retreat.
    --Captain Beefheart

I have to agree with Billy, The metal sheds can be a real pain especially in humid areas. The roof will sweat causing tool rust etc. A wood building can be built for around the same price if you do some thrifty shopping. The price of lumber varies through out the year so try to catch it on the lower end. I waited two years for OSB to get back down to where it should be, from $21 for a sheet of 7/16" to $5.95. Things may even be cheaper with the housing loan scam going on.
    David B

Tom

I am very sorry for your loss. I understand perfectly the need to redirect some of your energies and emotions into something that will help you move on from this. My suggestion would be to look at some sort of outbuilding in the back yard to act as your shop. Depending on what is available or what you can build, this may be a good short and or long term solution. It wont be a freebie, but it may be something you can budget in over the next year. Home Depot in this area has these buildings on display and there are more than a few contractors or companies that build them on non permanent foundations. Once you get the building up, then you can run your electric out and start making sawdust. Heating would be another issue, but in GA, it isnt as bad as other parts of the country.

I just want to note that you might want to also check out the EZ Smart stuff - there is a EurekaZone forum in Sawmill Creek (scroll to the bottom of the list) where you can learn more.

Quote Originally Posted by John Stevens View Post
    Woodworking may be a satisfying hobby. John
    John, you make some good points, but calling this a hobby is exactly why people don't expect to pay much for things built, family and friends are even worse. I have alot of money tied up in tools over 20 years and breathed alot of sawdust, plus working around dangerous machinery. I'm certainly in no big rush to upgrade to a cabinet saw or any other high dollar purchase when the money and respect isn't there.
    Last edited by Chuck Lenz; 12-21-2007 at 12:22 PM.

Blog Entries
    You've got some challenges ahead but as I do this for a hobby, I find that part of the fun. Since it sounds like you may have a 'temporary' shop for a long time, tuck this in the back of your mind while thinking table saws. . . The Bosch 4100-09 is a job site saw but, my brother has one and definitely does not do job sites. He uses it in his garage where the cars also must live. It folds up amazingly easily, has a trick guard and riving knife and is surprisingly substantial for a job site saw. The cost is that of a decent contractor saw but when folded up it takes up about half the footprint of a washing machine. That feature may help you out. Enjoy the journey.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Shopsmith?

Tom,

This might earn me a firestorm of s**t from some of the tool snobs on the forum, but I think your situation lends itself to considering a Shopsmith.
    I bought mine in 1981 when my wife and I lived in a little 2-bedroom condo. I was shocked at the price of furniture and was sure i could build better for less.
    She's such a trooper, we moved into the small bedroom so i could use the bigger one. One of my scariest ww memories was the time I ripped a 4x8 sheet of plywood by my self in a 12 x 14 room. It's a wonder I didn't kill myself. The neighbors thought we had an airplane in there, so my ww was limited for a while.
    Moved into a house and i built some beautiful raised panel oak kitchen cabinets 100% on the Shopsmith.
    I now only use it as a disk sander and drill press, but I'm 100% behind it as a great tool for someone with limited space and $$ to get started.
    They last forever, so there is always a good supply of used units out there. I couple of years ago i bought and sold 35 of them over Ebay.
    Watch the classifieds and you should be able to pick one up for $500 or so. Go for the models with th larger tables and shoot for one that has at least a bandsaw and a jointer.
    You can always add 'real tools' later when your circumstances change.
    PM me offline if you'd like more info and help in getting this done.

Jim

Based on my experience, John is spot-on here. In the early 90's, I very much wanted to get into woodworking with power tools, but had a limited budget. I owned a home, but it had no garage or basement. I had only a delapidated shed in my back yard.

I bought a table saw with my meager annual bonus. Since I didn't know much of anything back then (and only slightly more now), I bought a Craftsman contractor saw. I soon learned that wasn't the smartest decision, but pressed on. I also bought a PC 690 router and a DeWalt palm sander.

Time and time again I would plan to do a project and find I just didn't have the tools. As pointed out, family and friends don't understand why anyone with a hand saw and brace & bit can't crank out Amish furniture over a weekend.

If you'll be making bird houses and doll houses, a few small power tools should suffice. Unfortunately, most people want to make nice, big projects which are near impossible to build without nice, big tools.

Thus, in my humble opinion and meager experience, the options are neanderthal, or a good selection of power tools to include table saw, jointer and planer. Some people have successfully used their planer as a jointer with sleds, which might be an option. You still have to have a decent planer. If you don't have a dust collector, it's probably best to use the planer outside.

Be sure to explain all this to the Mrs. up front lest she frown every time you tell her you need more tools to make that five-drawer dresser she wants.

^^ Indeed, many people have a ShopSmith sitting around unused and are willing to sell them quite cheaply. (Personally, I think the new machines are way overpriced.) I looked at this option years ago. I attended a very nice ShopSmith demo and decided it wasn't for me. However, lots of folks use these machines regularly and can make some nice stuff.

What you may need to do is structure your projects such that they can be worked in smaller spaces with more portable tools. A guided circular saw and router can do a lot of the work you might usually do with stationary tools, but stores away compactly. Hand tools (Neander) offer a huge amount of utility in a small space...frankly, when you have very little area to work, a good workbench and some well-tuned hand tools can produce a lot of wonderful projects and with a minimum of noise. That could be a factor when you are more in a multi-family home situation.

Think this through. As much as I am a serious power tool user, the value of portable power and tail-free tools can be an awesome way to pursue this wonderful activity called woodworking.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...