Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inexpensive workshop options

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lenz View Post
    John, you make some good points, but calling this a hobby is exactly why people don't expect to pay much for things built
    Hi, Chuck. Actually, I agree with you. Although I used the term "hobby" in my message here, I consider woodworking to be a part-time job. Satisfying, but still a manufacturing job.

Regards,

John
    What this world needs is a good retreat.
    --Captain Beefheart

Built my first two projects on the back porch with just circular saw, and homemade router table. Made the table out of a old chest of drawers top, and clamped it to a workmate knock off from Big Lots. Would say that most folks don't start with a workshop full of the finest woodworking tools. As Jim just said you can do a lot with portable tools.
    Oh, and about that steel shed, I opened the box on mine, and took it back to the store also. Good luck.

Thomas,

As everyone here, I am sorry for the loss of your loved one.

Some time ago, when I was new to woodworking and wanting a dovetail jig, I was asking a million questions about them, when a fellow Creeker offered me a free Craftsman dovetail jig he no longer used. He only asked that if I ever stopped using it, to pay it forward and "give it to the next guy" in the spirit it was given to me. I have since gotten a PC4212 and no longer use the Craftsman.

If you'd like it, simply PM me with your info and it's yours with the same conditions that came to me with. When you upgrade, or no longer use it, pay the shipping and send it to someone who can use it.

Let this be the begining of your "new shop".

Ken
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Everyone,

First, let me thank you for your good thoughts and wishes. They mean a great deal to me, as does your advice.

The Shopsmith looks like an interesting tool, something for me to keep my eye open for in my area. There's one on eBay for $250 right now, but it's pick up only and I can't get to Colorado to snag it

There are definite challenges to overcome, and I'm actually getting a little excited at figuring out ways around them. Luckily, my wife is pretty understanding on a lot of stuff, and isn't expecting showroom quality furniture within the next few months (thankfully).

As for a planer and jointer, they're definitely on hold. So far, the only source for hardwood I've found locally is Lowe's, so theres not a real need to mill my own stuff. Still thinking of picking up a portable planer in the near future just to bring down the thickness of the Lowe's stuff. I'm still on the hunt for a better source though.

Thank you all again. I really appreciate your help during this pretty trying time. The thought of making sawdust is helping out more than I ever imagined it would.

Tom

PS. Ken? PM is sent on your extremely generous offer!

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Woodworking has been a God send for me through the years.
    I found this the other day and recommended it to a friend :
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...ckler%20Outlet
    A jet Tablesaw for $399 is a steal. Several people have recommended you need a full shop of tools, but you can purchase wood jointed and planed (straight and to the correct thickness) from a good lumberyard. This will cost more for the wood, but save you on the machines. This requires alot more planning on your part to have a very accurate cut list.

When you are ready to get your jointer and planer they can be gotten second hand for about 50-70% of new.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Rollins View Post
    I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Woodworking has been a God send for me through the years.
    I found this the other day and recommended it to a friend :
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...ckler%20Outlet
    A jet Tablesaw for $399 is a steal. Several people have recommended you need a full shop of tools, but you can purchase wood jointed and planed (straight and to the correct thickness) from a good lumberyard. This will cost more for the wood, but save you on the machines. This requires alot more planning on your part to have a very accurate cut list.

When you are ready to get your jointer and planer they can be gotten second hand for about 50-70% of new.
    That is a great deal for the JET saw!

I didn't know you could buy pre-planed and jointed stock. That would indeed open up a whole new world of project potential. My local hardwood distributors sell only S2S which is nice for inspecting grain patterns, but far from square. My favorite retailer is a great local guy who has a small shop in the store. I guess if someone asked him he could joint and plane for a nominal fee.

Interesting to hear from others how therapudic woodworking can be. I feel the same way. Like the mountains, the workshop is a good place for a troubled soul. I think it's in our DNA to shape and build things. Yet, we live in a world that wants us to be little more than nice, office drones.
    Last edited by Pat Germain; 12-22-2007 at 11:33 AM.

I'm actually planning on buying wood initially pre-milled boards just for simplicity sake. A decent bench top planer and jointer can be pretty pricey, so buying pre-milled delays the cost for that a bit.

Unfortunately, inevitably it appears, I won't be able to do that forever.

Thanks again everyone!

Tom