Thread: Lumber dealers in Metro Detroit?

Lumber dealers in Metro Detroit?

Hi all

Wondering of there are any Michigan folks out there who can point me to a decent lumber dealer/mill in the Metro Detroit area. A good to great selection of exotics is a must!

I've been patronizing Armstrong Millworks in Hartland/Highland, and I've been very happy with them, great folks and a nice selection of exotics... but I thought I'd see if there are any other options in the SE Michigan area for selection and pricing purposes.

Thanks for your help!

Hey, we keep a wiki page of various lumber sources here:
    http://www.marsh-monster.com/forum/w...ces_for_lumber

Only other one I've bought much from beside's Armstrong is Public Lumber at 7-Mile & I-75. Pretty fair selection but a rather dingy place.
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    Only other one I've bought much from beside's Armstrong is Public Lumber at 7-Mile & I-75. Pretty fair selection but a rather dingy place.
    I know that place... that's the neighborhood that I grew up in! LOL

Do they actually carry exotics there? If so, how's the pricing?

Thanks Rick, that's a good source!

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Finn View Post
    I know that place... that's the neighborhood that I grew up in! LOL

Do they actually carry exotics there? If so, how's the pricing?
    Haven't been down there in a couple years. They're a bit further from me than Armstrong, but often have some things that Armstrong doesn't carry or is out of at the moment. I've gotten Red Beech, Mahogany, Walnut, Ipe, and Garapa there in the past. Dont think they normally have as many species as Armstrong, but sometimes different ones. I think the pricing was usually about the same as Armstrong when I was able to compare them.
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by RickT Harding View Post
    Hey, we keep a wiki page of various lumber sources here:
    http://www.marsh-monster.com/forum/w...ces_for_lumber
    Rick - I just noticed your list doesn't have Pontiac Plywood. I usually end up getting any sheet stuff between them and Drayton Plywood.
    Use the fence Luke

Rick - I just noticed your list doesn't have Pontiac Plywood. I usually end up getting any sheet stuff between them and Drayton Plywood.

Thanks for the heads up. I added it to the list. I couldn't find a website for them though.

Quote Originally Posted by RickT Harding View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I added it to the list. I couldn't find a website for them though.
    Doubt they have one (neither does Drayton that I know of). Sometimes Pontiac Ply has some hardwood veneer ply choices that Drayton Ply doesn't. Both are good for Baltic Birch. Drayton's usually better for MDF, MDO and I think has some bending ply. Drayton will also make a cut or 2 to help non-pickup owners fit stuff in a SUV, while PP doesn't even have a saw. PP will also sell Wilsonart (Corian clone) direct to the public without needing a license. Neither carries any hardwood that I know of though.
    Use the fence Luke

Public Lumber on 7 Mile Rd just of I75 has a great selection of exotics. You will see it from the exit. Head up to the second floor of the storage barn and select your own. I don't go there often because it's easy to get carried away.

Thanks for the tip on Public Lumber. It's pretty close to me and I haven't been there. I have to check it out.
    Gary

I lived in Detroit for 20+ years and didnt find a local dealer in exotics/domestics better than Public Lumber.

They were the only store that carried 8/4 teak and lacewood for a few projects I did.

Talk to the son of the owners if possible. He knows his wood and is very nice to deal with.

I havent been there in about 6 months, but I will be stopping in during my christmas visit to detroit this coming week.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Conely View Post
    Public Lumber on 7 Mile Rd just of I75 has a great selection of exotics. You will see it from the exit. Head up to the second floor of the storage barn and select your own. I don't go there often because it's easy to get carried away.

Now that I think a bit, is that the same crew who also has a warehouse/office on John R, just south of 7?

Amazing... this is like a bit of a Christmas present... if you knew that neighborhood like I know that neighborhood, you'd never guess in your wildest dreams that there was anyone there that was selling anything more than 2x4s and OSB. That's what I thought they were up to... I never considered that they were going beyond.

Thanks to all for the heads-up, I'll be over there soon enough.
    Last edited by Mickey Finn; 12-21-2007 at 9:54 PM.