Thread: What kind of lock is this??

What kind of lock is this??

Can anyone tell me what kind of lock this is? I'm trying to do some antique restoration and need this specific kind of lock. The few websites that carry this kind of lock are very vague on what kind of lock it is, usually just calling it a chest lock, or box lock, but I don't think that is what the this kind of lock mechanism is called. I've googled for hours and haven't had any luck, besides finding out trivial info lock history. Thanks very much for any help, love the site, i learn so much. Heres the link....

http://www.artifactsfurniture.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.f lypage&product_id=795&category_id=51&manufacturer_ id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=58&vmcchk=1

Mark

I have always called those locks "Mortise Locks".
    I call them that only because I once ran across the specific tool to install that type of mechanismin a flea market, and that was the name of the tool.
    That particular lock is known to me as a "Backset Mortise lock".

I should have bought that tool at the time.

Blog Entries
    Those locks, Half Mortised Box Locks, are commonly used on cedar chests. Here is a link to one sourceHalf motise box lock
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I believe the web site has the correct title of "Half-Mortise" ... The mortise locks I was around were fitted into a mortise in the door with just the plunger and it's plate showing on the edge of the door. I remember selling them and the "skelton" keys for use in the old houses in my home town!
    Leo

Thanks everyone, and Lee that site is just what i needed thanks!

what kind of lock is this?

That picture shows a half-mortise lock and uses a barrel type key.
    It is NOT a full mortise lock. You can buy one's just like that from woodcraft and some other woodworker's supply stores...fairly cheap.
    Most of them were/are used to secure small jewelry boxes, keepsake boxes and the like. I have made keys to fit many of them and opened a bunch more when keys were missing in the last 10 or 12 years. eezlock

Hi Mark, here's another source for hardware and they have a ton related to restoration. http://www.whitechapel-ltd.com/sub/locks.shtml
    What you are looking at is commonly used for boxes, chests or cabinets. By design, it is inset into the cabinet using a half mortice, hence it's name.