Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need opinions on saw-jointer

Well I have them in the shop. It wasn't very big before and now looks much much smaller. I paid $2150.00 and the lady gave me a old Montgomery wood lathe, 48" with orginal GE motor and 4 never used Craftsman chisels. The saw still has the cosmoline on it, waiting for the mobile base. Same for the DJ 20. Infact it was still in the wooden shipping crate from Delta. It's missing the handle for tilting the fence($8.20 from service net). And the hardware package for the PM66's 50" biesemyer(gold color) fence is missing. All in all I am EXTREMELY happy. I took some pics. in a very cluttered shop. I want to post, can any one explain how for me?
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Solomon View Post
    I took some pics. in a very cluttered shop. I want to post, can any one explain how for me?
    There is a complete tutorial on posting pictures stickied at the top of the Forum Technical Support forum.

(Congrats on the "new" tools!!)

Jim
    SMC Moderator
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That is a fine duo and one I used personally for many years. You will be happy!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

The price and opportunity are great but the story is very sad.

Thanks Jim

I did not notice that. Big help. I had to do some resizing but I hope this worked.
    Lathe appears to be tight. I know knothing about lathes, well very little. But that is going to be another project.
    The PM 66 isn't missing a handle, I had to take it off to get it through the door frame.
    The following are of the DJ20. I am awaiting the mobile bases for both machines due here Monday so I can assemble/clean and then I'll take some new pics. Behind the saw pic, to the right is a cyclone dust collector I made. Works really well.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great score, Jim! Now, please tell me that YOUR Uniontown is in western PA so I don't have to agonize for missing out on that deal myself locally.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Excellent gloat! Brand new, old American iron - it doesn’t get much better than that.
    Be sure to get help assembling them!!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Great score, Jim! Now, please tell me that YOUR Uniontown is in western PA so I don't have to agonize for missing out on that deal myself locally.

Yes Rick, in SW PA. Soth of Pittsburgh<50mi. Closer to Morgantown, WV 19mi.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Excellent gloat! Brand new, old American iron - it doesn’t get much better than that.
    Be sure to get help assembling them!!
    You can bet on that. Maybe 15 years ago me and another guy, but 56 now and 4 neck operations later just not possible. Thankfully I have two son in laws that drive for a moving company. They got them here. Rick and his buddy picked up the saw while I placed a 4 wh. dolley under it. Same with the crate. Ahh, the old days. I ordered the mobile bases from Amazon. Recieved the PM base in two days, and the Delta is to be here Monday. I'm in the process of trying to locate a motor cover for the PM66. Either that or make one. If I can match the paint. Same for an extension table. I'll make that but want to look for some ideas. One of them being if you drill through the saws extension table to connect or just use the rails. After I get them on the bases and cleaned up and waxed(no silicone) I;ll be giving a shout out.
    Jim

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Jim, I don’t remember if my Unisaw’s extension table had holes or if I drilled them. Either way, there are holes. I built a frame under the Woodhaven table and bolted it to the rails and the saws extension table. I don’t think you could get it tight any other way.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

yes, I agree

Quote Originally Posted by keith ouellette View Post
    The price and opportunity are great but the story is very sad.
    Keith, I agree it was sad. I even felt bad about it and let the lady know. She told me nonsense, Bill would have loved them to go to someone to use the way he intended. Still, I didn't feel better. I wanted to make her something, but she said she would be in Fla. and for me to make my wife something. Everything I build I try and hide a note in it describing who it was made for, the wood, date etc. The first piece I make from these tools will have a dedicated to Bill note in it.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Sorry Rick, I thought I had answered you. Yes it my Uniontown, is in W.Pa. South of Pittsburgh, and about 18 mi. north of Morgantown, W.V.
    Jim
    Last edited by Jim Solomon; 01-02-2008 at 8:46 PM.