Thread: Penn State Cyclone TEMP142CX Info.

Penn State Cyclone TEMP142CX Info.

My friend is selling a Penn State Tempest TEMP142CX ( http://www.pennstateind.com/store/temp142cx.html ). He is out of state so I really can't look at it except for pictures.

My shop in in my garage. I currently have a Jet canister DC set up like a central dust collection system. I'm concerned I won't have space for the cyclone. I probably have plenty of room for the main unit (I have a 9' ceiling and 31"x39" footprint), but, probably not enough floor space for the canister filter. I have hear (but not seen) that it is possible to ceiling mount the filters.

Questions:

1) Anyone have this unit (likes/dislikes)?

2) Anyone ceiling mount the filter (if so pic's)?

3) Can the motor assembly be indexed differently on the top?

4) Does the muffler cut the noise well?

Thanks

Mike, I have no particular experience with Penn State's cyclones but generally they aren't regarded to be as well designed as Oneida or Clearvue. I did have a Penn State bag style dust collector which was reasonably well made.

Comparing the airflow of the PS cyclone you are looking at with the Oneida 2HP Dust Gorilla, the max airflow (which is at lowest static pressure--not somewhere you are going to actually operate the cyclone) is about 25% less. You didn't say which Jet you have to compare.

Assuming the airflow is reasonable, the next big problem with cyclone design is less than perfect separation, meaning more stuff gets into the filters. If you could vent your cyclone outside that would eliminate that problem from a health point of view. It would also elminiate your filter room problem. However, if you are in a subidvision or have any other reasons why venting some dust outside would be a problem that obviously won't work. Theoretically this creates a heating/cooling problem, but I vent outside and haven't seen a significant impact and I know others do as well.

According to the manual (available at the link you posted) the top can be indexed.

Matt - Thanks. My Jet is a DC1100C.

According to Jet, that is an 1100CFM machine at 4" SP. The PS is somewhere around 800CFM at that point. Assuming they've all been "creative" with their numbers equally, you are going to loose performance going to the pictured cyclone.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    According to Jet, that is an 1100CFM machine at 4" SP. The PS is somewhere around 800CFM at that point. Assuming they've all been "creative" with their numbers equally, you are going to loose performance going to the pictured cyclone.
    Except both #'s are quoted with clean filters. Even w/ less than stellar separation, the cyclone's filters will stay cleaner far longer, and CFM will not be reduced as quickly as it will be with the typical single-stage canister DC.

I know the PS cyclones don't have the following that Oneida and ClearVue seem to have. However, most of the posters that have them credit their PS cyclone for what they are, an economical alternative that suits their shop and budget.

That is a good point Phil. PSI doesn't actually state whether their curve includes a filter. The only reason I wonder is that they state a CFM spec for just the blower too, without the cyclone. The number with the cyclone doesn't explicitly state it includes the filters. Probably worth a call to them.

I will say that I use a Jet DC1200 blower with an Oneida component cyclone. Mine has a 12" blower (compared to the 14" blower on the PS) and other than less than ideal separate of the ultrafine dust, mine works very well with a pretty good amount of 6" duct. The separation isn't an issue since I started exhausting outside.

Mike, have you looked through the DC information on Bill Pentz's site?

I almost purchased the unit, but decided to go with the Tempest S with 2 1/2 HP as the impellor had been re-designed and it has a bit more gitty up and go. From those that I know that do have it though, they are satisfied.

Just my opionion.... but after doing months of research on cyclones, I came to the conclussion that the CFM rating stated can be quite a bit of bunk. Depends on how they came up with them just as ratings on electric power tool motors which will usually state such and such maximum. Meaning if we take it the point just before the motor actually melts.

Other than rely on the stat sheets.... you are wise to ask those that have em and use em daily. That information from the "trench" is much more reliable than a company origined one where you will probably only make one cyclone purchase in a life-time. So... better get your attention now... or tomorrow we may have lost that potential once in a life-time sale to a given individual.

Again... just my opinion as we all have our preceptions of how the world turns.

Sarge..

So, even though I hate cleaning the filter w/every bag change, this cyclone doesn't seem to be a big improvement over my DC1100C.

Thanks for the help!

Mike

I have that model from psi I have a jet1442 wood lathe hooked up to it . I have been very satisfied with it performance. I have used it for 3 years as a hobbiest turning a few times a week.

I have that model with the muffler too.
    1. It works well - plenty of vacuum in a 39' x 16' basement shop area, although the mounting instructions were poor (i.e.not made in USA).
    2. the canister filter is tall (about 6' tall). I just sat it on the floor and empty the canister out by lifting the filter ~ 20 lbs. neglible dust in 3 yrs. for hobbiest (sp?).
    3. The unit is very top heavy when mounting. I made a temporary stand, then a friend and I lifted the assembly onto the stand. The wall-mounted frame is screwed into the wall.
    4. I bought and installed the muffler, but didn't operate the cyclone w/o. You've got me wondering now.
    I bought about 3 yrs. ago. At the time, I saved about 15% on the cylone and more on the ductwork (which actually totaled to be more). Order addition Wye's though. Any cylone is great though.

The cylone currently services:
    • Unisaw (waiting for a Shark-Guard)
    • DJ-20 jointer
    • Delta 12.5" lunch-box planer
    • Benchdog router table (LOTS of dust)
    • 14" Rockwell bandsaw
    • 10" Makita SCMS (build a dust-box)
    • fittings for Bosch ROS and belt sanders

Talking Tempest cyclone

I have the 3 Hp. Cyclone,its 4 years old and still going strong with no problems.

I started with a PS 2 hp cyclone, and then upgraded to the 3 hp cyclone. The muffler is a must have, it makes a lot of difference in the noise level. I sold my 2 hp cyclone to a woodworking friend and we made a muffler for the 2 hp unit and it actually reduced the sound better than the one I purchased from PS. Overall I was quite satisfied with both units and upgraded to the 3 hp unit when I went to a 25" planer.

Ron