Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Setting TS Blade to 90°

Setting TS Blade to 90°

What's the preferred method? Now that I dumped some money on a couple Starrett squares, I've been checking everything.

On my TS, a ShopFox 3hp Cabinet Saw, I have always hated adjusting 90° stop.......it's a pain.

In the next sentence I am sure I just answered my own question, but I just want some clarification.

Do you just use the 90° and 45° stops as a point of reference and then check it with a good square?

Thanks
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

Do you just use the 90° and 45° stops as a point of reference and then check it with a good square?

Yes I use a good square & check down through the throat for 90 degrees. I set a bevel square for odd angles or use a triangle to for 45 degrees. I keep a drafting triangle in my table saw storage cabinet as well as by my CMS & RAS.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

My saw does not have stops and I don't even look at the scale on the front.
    When I move the blade I always check it whit my Starrett to set it to a 90 or a 45.
    Most of the time after I have it set I will do a test cut to make sure.

first off I don't rely on the stops since with most saws it can twist the cast iron parts and put the blade out of alignment.

for setting angle I use a combination square down the throat, then make test cuts.

I crosscut a 1" to 3" wide piece of mdf; but the two ends back together on the saws top; see how they join; flip one over 180 then see that they mate the same; if not, adjust the bevel of the saw and try again.
    Last edited by john tomljenovic; 12-22-2007 at 2:24 PM.

I never use the stops on my saw. I adjusted them so they will have no effect in normal operation. My opinion is they are too inaccurate and unreliable for precision work. I use a Wixey digital angle gauge to get close and then use my machinist square to check the results of a trial cut. I seldom have to make any further adjustments.

I agree with John here...Use the Starrett, then make the 180 test cut....

JC

Well, for many years I used my Starrett but now I use my wixey but most importantly I check my stock with my square after a cut.
    Gary

I use my TS-Aligner Jr. to set the blade to 90 and 45. I use the TS-Aligner Jr. with a square to reference 90 and with an angle block to reference 45. You can get a very accurate result with this method. (in theory within .057 degrees, if you are any good with the dial indicator you can get alot closer)
    Mike Marcade
    Senior Mechanical Engineer
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.

Blog Entries
    I have both my stops set just beyond the norm so no, I don't use them as an absolute measurement. Wixey (for me) or Beall angle gauge is one of the better $30 - $40 you can spend.. I use it on the CMS, the DP, the bandsaw, the . . . .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I use the stops and just check them every once in awhile. But I rarely tilt the blade, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use the 90 degree stop and it is always bang on so I rarely check it with a square. I don't use the Beall gauge for 45 degrees.

Before you do any checking of stops, I would give the inside a good vacuuming out, so that the stops are not coated with saw dust.

I use a 90* and 45* to check things, and then do your test cuts to make sure that everything is correct.

I ignore the stops - they are too sloppy for anything other than a rough guide. Get a Wixey and you can set angles all day with reliability.

One word, Wixey.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kountz View Post
    One word, Wixey.
    Are you talking about the $40 digital one?