Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Santa called last night...

Talking Santa called last night...

Got a call from the president of my company last night regarding my bonus. After telling SWMBO, I got instant permission to pick this up today. I've just made a couple test cuts, but it has some really nice features. I also picked up a set of the clamps and some extra anti-chip blocks. I wanted to get the hose guide for the end of the rail but couldn't find one locally today so I'll have to get it later.

Where to buy was a real dilema for me as there are so many great Festool dealers out there--Bob Marino, Tools For Working Wood, my local Woodcraft, and Electric Tool which is a local place. In the end I ended up buying from the local place because I knew they could really use the sale and the manager is my old neighbor but I kind of felt bad for not buying from the other guys. He didn't have the accessories so I picked them up from Woodcraft on the way home.

Edit: BTW, I've had the vac and a ETS 150/3 sander for a few years now. The saw is my second major Festool purchase.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 12-22-2007 at 2:12 PM.

Well atleast you aren't working for a company that under a new commission system you would be making 10k less for the same amount of work.
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

You must have been a good boy!! Merry Christmas!

Eddie

Cool

Wow Matt, that's some bonus. Congratulations. As for where to buy, I agree that's become difficult. Buying from your local store is definitely a good thing to do. Many these days can't compete with the Internet and are going out of business. Bob's been so generous answering my questions, which have been numerous, that I'm planning on buying some things from him if I get any cash for Christmas.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Well big deal, I bought a new screw driver with my bonus...., well it was a pocket screw driver but a nice one..

Matt that is a great looking saw and I have been looking at them for a long time just can not justify it yet, (note the yet).
    I was looking at them at woodcraft one day and just almost did it but then this little picture came into my head, looking down the barrel of a 38 and hearing "we need a new carpet in the living room" so I didn't get it.

Keep us posted as you use it more.

Good stuff Matt. Congrats on the early Christmas present.

Congrats Matt! Your bonus beat my $100 dinner I got.

Matt, is that the bigger or smaller one? Why did you pick the one you did?

Quote Originally Posted by John Hain View Post
    Matt, is that the bigger or smaller one? Why did you pick the one you did?
    John, its the smaller one. There was really no reason for me to get the bigger one as I'll mostly just use this for sheet goods or putting a straight edge on solid stock. I picked up a used Skil HD77 worm drive saw for construction-type projects.

You have a sink in your shop? That just ain’t right!

Nice use of the bonus.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    You have a sink in your shop? That just ain’t right!
    No, its great! Its not a legal sink though. There is a frost-free hydrant that was pre-existing. I wouldn't have installed it but I love having it. What I did was run the drain down into a small sump that gets pumped out onto the driveway (gravel.) Again, I wouldn't have installed the sump, but a few summers ago water started coming out of the ground through the gravel around the hydrant due to heavy rains and ran across the shop floor. So I had to put in the sump to keep that from happening. It kind of snowballed from there and I ended up with one of those 4gal high efficiency water heaters too. I also ended up putting in an inexpensive water filter since the hydrant water comes from our well before the softener system. The hydrant feeds water to the sink and hot water heater through a washing machine hose. I can easily shut off the hydrant and drain the system if I want to shut off the heat out there.

Eventually I'll probably do something about putting in a bathroom out there which will involve either a separate septic field or a pump to send it back to the house, which is uphill from the shop by about 4'.

Bonus?

Bonus? What is this "bonus" thing you people speak of?

...art
    (worked for non-profits all my professional life. Of course, that may change as funding cutbacks showed me the door last month... Anyone in Southern Ontario in the IT business?)
    "It's Not About You."

I’m just jealous. If I ever get a real shop I’m going to try find one with a bathroom.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Art, PM sent.

Part of my new company's philosophy is bonuses for everyone based on the profitability of the projects we actually work on. A big switch from the last place where it depended on whether you were part of the good-ole-boy network or not. Part of the philosophy is that if the bonus isn't able to at least make a down payment on a really nice toy, it isn't going to motivate people.

I sort of take issue with the title of the thread, it isn't a "gift from Santa" but something you earned. I understand saying it in jest but if that is part of your employment compensation it isn't a gift.

Either way, nice addition to the shop and enjoy the fruits of your hard work. What did your wife get to buy?