Thread: Anyone ever build a shuffleboard table?

Anyone ever build a shuffleboard table?

Has anyone ever built a shuffleboard table and can give me some pointers? I picked up a 6' section of bowling lane a while back from a bowling alley that was going out of business. I am planning on ripping it length wise to make a 12' table. I wonder if anyone has done something similar. How would I go about joining the two halves together? Biscuits or something, the lane is about 2" thick.

Any insight would be appreciated. But I am pretty excited to start this project.

I'm thinking large dowels would work better than biscuits here. More stability and better alignment...

- Keith
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

Lucky you. I have that on my list for the 'game room'. Mine will have to be much shorter. Let us know how it turns out.

My only insight is this... be prepared to destroy whatever blade you use to rip it, due to all the nails in it holding it together.
    "It's Not About You."

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    My only insight is this... be prepared to destroy whatever blade you use to rip it, due to all the nails in it holding it together.
    Yeah, this bowling alley was from the 40's. This piece of lane is actually made out of pine since it is from the middle of the alley. But there are plenty of nails that are holding this thing together, I am just planning on picking up one of those 3 packs of blade for 10 bucks at the Borgs, hopefully I can get through it with those.

I also got a piece that is about 4 feet long that is where the pins actually set, it has the ten dots on it, it is pretty neat, I am going to turn that into the top for my bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Starosta View Post
    I'm thinking large dowels would work better than biscuits here. More stability and better alignment...

- Keith
    This sounds like a viable option, but I just don't know how I could make sure that the dowels were aligned with eachother. But the same could also be said for the biscuits.

I would really like something that would suck them together, maybe some way of screwing them together.

I would think that a couple rows of biscuts would work to help align vertically.. If you want to pull it together, you could drill out the bottom, and use the conectors they use on countertops.
    -------------

"Just a little bit of a curve will add to its fondleability." - John H.

Shuffel board

I just glued up the bed from 2 x 4īs , glued carpet in the alleys and on the walls and the rest was easy.
    Attached Images Attached Images