Thread: Drill press issue-Craftsman

Cool Drill press issue-Craftsman

So, at a time when funds were low and the plastic had a high credit availability at Sears, I found myself in need of a DP. I bought the Craftsman, floor-standing flavor. It's the 15", 12-speed model and only a couple years old. When I was doing my pen blanks last weekend, I noted that I was having a heckuva' time keeping them centered and the hole would really wander. Actually ruined a few blanks! Yeah, I know the drill (pun intended) about sharp bits, good fixture, bla, bla, but in trying to determine exactly what the cause was, I found that the quill has significant lateral play in it. Anybody know if there's a reasonably easy fix for this? (Short of buying a new DP, that is.) I'll bet there's a 1/32" play at the end of the chuck, which obviously, translates into a whole lot more at the business end of the bit. I checked a few of them while at the toy show in Milwaukee yesterday, and none of the others exhibited this problem. Any tips or suggestions appreciated.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Remove the chuck, clean out the taper and reinstall the chuck. Then check for runout. If it still...um...sucks...than the problem is going to be more involved.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Remove the chuck, clean out the taper and reinstall the chuck. Then check for runout. If it still...um...sucks...than the problem is going to be more involved.
    Jim, been there, done that. I can see the play going right up into the part holding the chuck! I have a hunch the problem is more involved, but just wondering if it's something I can repair/improve myself.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

John, is this runout or play? Does the bit "wiggle" that much or can you move the chuck side to side or front to rear that much? If it is runout above the chuck it might be in the spindle. As far as I know there is no cure other than spindle replacement. If you can shake the spindle/chuck side to side that much in the casting there may be a screw or two to take that play out. My old Craftsman has such screws. I took out the play 30 years ago and that was the last time needed. My newish Delta has that play with no way to remove it.

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Rose
    John, is this runout or play? Does the bit "wiggle" that much or can you move the chuck side to side or front to rear that much? If it is runout above the chuck it might be in the spindle. As far as I know there is no cure other than spindle replacement. If you can shake the spindle/chuck side to side that much in the casting there may be a screw or two to take that play out. My old Craftsman has such screws. I took out the play 30 years ago and that was the last time needed. My newish Delta has that play with no way to remove it.

David
    Yup, it's above the chuck. When I get home this evening, I'm pulling the manual out for it and checking the break-out drawing for it. Maybe I can get a clue whether there's an adjustment or something up in there.

Your newish Delta has that problem? Ouch! I had figured if I can't find a resolution, I may just end up getting a new DP and the Delta VS (single range) was on my short list! Guess I never thought I'd anquish this much over a DP. I figured I "cured" those problems when I put the little benchtop HF pos out of service and got the big Crapsman.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

John, I had the same DP with the same problem. I never could find a way to correct it. Finally just replaced it with a 20" Grizzly. I was cutting 6" holes with a fly cutter yesterday with accuracy for a change. All that time I thought it was me that couldn't drill a straight hole.

Gerry

There's always the fine adjustment tool.....BFH...just kidding, had to toss in my 1.5 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Heppeard
    There's always the fine adjustment tool.....BFH...just kidding, had to toss in my 1.5 cents
    Been there, done that too! Well, not exactly, but at first, I though it might be just the chuck and after cleaning the taper and checking for any scoring, I ramrodded that puppy in there good 'n tight. When the same thing was happening, I did further investigating and found the problem above the chuck. Guess it's my own bad for buying a crapsman.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas