Thread: It just followed me home....(GLOAT)

Wink It just followed me home....(GLOAT)

A couple of weekends ago I took a three and a half day turning class at Woodcraft. I had purposefully been avoiding it for to or three years, but couldn't resist any longer. WHAT A BLAST! There were 6 in the class, and the teacher was great. My "worst fear" had come true. I WAS HOOKED. I was there this week picking up a few small odds and ends. I had been trying to research lathes to decide what to get. Jet, Delta, PM, etc. and what size,......and this one just followed me home! I think it must have been lonely, since I had used it at the class. Spent a little time setting it up and started to practice. Will need practice, practice, and more practice. I suspect there will be lots of questions for all of you as well. Thanks for letting me share. , and , no, I'm not trying to keep up with some of you out there.

Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Nice Mark,
    You really have to watch out for strays that follow you home. Good luck on your new adventure. Even if it is being a spin doctor.

I know we need a shop tour. From what little I can see there is some good stuff going on over there.
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 02-23-2004 at 3:37 AM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    Nice Mark,
    You really have to watch out for strays that follow you home. Good luck on your new adventure. Even if it is being a spin doctor.

I know we need a shop tour. From what little I can see there is some good stuff going on over there.
    What Tyler said
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Alright Mark, clear the peg board to the right of the lathe and get prepared to spend about as much as you did on the lathe on tools.

Then move everything from the left of the lathe and prepare to spend about $500 on a grinder, and shapening jigs.

Good luck.

Mark,

Great lathe, make sure you read the manual...especially about the part where you need to clean the dust from inside the headstock about every six months...more often if you use the lathe more than a couple of times a week. But the lathe is a good one...Teknatool makes some good products. Glad to see you got the cast iron leg set with it...much more stable than the old stamped steel ones....GOOD TURNING to you

Mark,
    Yeah! Right. Do you really believe SWMBO will buy that?. ......Wait a minute......I need a new shop........X@#$%^ new shops wouldn't follow you home......You don't think my SWMBO would buy it?...........Nah! Good luck with the new equiment!

Greg,
    I'm one of those guys that actually does read the manuals cover to cover before starting to put something together, but I probably glossed over that. Thanks for the heads up. The cast iron legs seemed the only way to go. Once I'm set on location, I plan to lag bolt it to the floor. Figure I'll need to move the cabinet above it before I try any bowls, though.

Ken,she just smiled and said "sure".

Steve, I have a Tormek that was a gift from my office a few years ago. I'm sure it will seee more use now, though

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions in good time.

Tyler, I'll try to get some pics of the shop. It's not big, only 14X21 but it works.

Followed me home!!

Mark,
    Congratulations!! You are "Marked" for life (no pun intended). Don't ever expect to be normal again. But then, I don't want to put any bad "spin" on your plunge into addiction.

All that ever follows ME home are puppies and COPS. I LOVE puppies. Cops always carry handcuffs.

Incidentally, you may wish to cut your pictures down to somewhere in the 500-600 pixel range. They will be easier to enjoy for all of us.

Thanks for sharing!!

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Mark,
    thats a real nice looking lathe. Hope you get to spend lots of hours in front of it. Please after you've had some time on it let us all know your likes and (god forbid) dislikes. I have that lathe running through my head for my future machine and would love to hear more about it. I too am signed up for a Woodcraft class on turning. I think that will be the best "tool" I can buy myself. Best of luck to ya!
    John

Wish my shop were that clean and organized! Nice lathe, too.