Thread: Longer Arms needed!

Longer Arms needed!

Received my new GO609 jointer from Grizzly on Thursday. Fit in place of the 10" Oliver very well. Jointer was set up very well, worked just great right out of the crate. Now the problem is, I ordered the Byrd Shelix from Grizzly as well as the jointer, instead of the Grizzly insert head. And there are 2 bolts on the inside of the jointer holding the bearing supports in place. The thing is, the only way I can reach the bolts is up the dust chute, and my arms are too short! Do you have to remove the jointer from the base to install the Byrd? Jim

Even with the side panels removed?
    Mike Marcade
    Senior Mechanical Engineer
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.

The door you open to get to the motor has the dust chute above it. Both the panels on the end are closed off by the dust chute. Only way to the bolts is through the dust chute or take the jointer off the base. Trouble is the table adjustments are in the base.

I just looked at the exploded parts list and I see what you mean. Can you use a crane to lift the jointer up off the stand a few inches to change out the cutter head and then drop it back down?
    Mike Marcade
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.

Just got a tech support email, they said remove the tables. So guess I will try removing the infeed table, maybe I can reach both bolts. Thanks

Took off the infeed table, then putting on the cutterhead was possible, both bolts accessible, then the hard part was getting the infeed table back in. Had my head in the access hole laying on my back trying to get the thing hooked back up. Got it put back together, and couldn't get the table to go back up. After looking everything over, found that the hard to reach shaft had slipped to the side enough to catch on the side of the jointer body. After that wasn't real hard to twist the shaft back into place by using one hand to shake the jointer table and one finger, all that would fit!, turning the shaft and pulling toward the other end. Then it worked fine! Now just need to check the table alignment and putting back the blades and fence before trying it out. Noticed on the instructions, they now recommend 55 inch pounds on the carbide inserts. The old one recommended 40. Jim

Glad you got 'er figured out Jim!
    Mike Marcade
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.