Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any tricks for installing tiny screws?

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mountain.

Any tricks for installing tiny screws?

I need to install butt hinges on a jewelry cabinet. Got the mortise cut for a nice fit, but I'm dreading trying to install the tiny #2 screws. Any good ideas on how to do this?

Do you drill a hole? Smallest bit I have is 1/16 and that seems way bigger than the threads of the screw.

I'll bet there's something I'm missing.

Thanks in advance!

Jess

At the least, i take a finish nail and cut the head off and use it to spin a little pilot hole.

Tiny screw...tiny drill bit...tiny screwdriver.

Seriously, you'll want to pre-drill for those little screws, especially if they are brass. Either purchase an appropriate drill bit (hobby shop will have them and a pin-vice to hold it...drill by hand) or sharpen a small enough nail to do the job chucked in a cordless tool.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Do you have dial calipers? Most finish nails are bigger then 1/16th. I just measured my smallest brad and it was .047. (1/16 = .060) They do make alot of bits smaller then 1/16.
    Gary

I used small nails for many yrs, but I put the in the drill and ground the nail to size on the grinder. works very well
    Earl

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Reid View Post
    I used small nails for many yrs, but I put the in the drill and ground the nail to size on the grinder. works very well
    Earl
    Yep, more then one way to skin the proverbial cat.
    Gary

If they are brass screws, get some steel ones from the hardware store when you get the drill bit. get them longer so they will be easier to work with and after drilling the hole run the steel screws in first to "Tap" the hole. A good hobby shop will carry everything you need too. They do make screw starters. They look like a "T" handle with a screw thread on the end. I don't know if they make then down to the #2 your working with. I would not even try to put the small screws in with out pre drilling and tapping first.
    Happy Sawdust
    Dale

Blog Entries

Bees wax

I highly recommend pilot holes. Most industrial supply places and real hardare stores should have smaller bits. For a #2 screw use a #54 or #55 drill. AND rub the threads on a lump of beeswax before trying to screw them into the wood. The screw will drive with half the effort and most likely won't break off in the hole. Paraffin or soap don't work as well. Soap may stain the wood.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee is offering good advice on the beswax. Brass screws of that size are especially bad about twisting the head off. The wax will keep that from happening.

Cant recall where I got mine, but these are real handy for the small wire gauge drill bits. Mine came with a 30-40 pc set of bits as well, but cant remember who had it.

Oops
    Lost the link
    http://www.garrettwade.com/jump.jsp?...&itemID=106088
    Last edited by Doug Shepard; 12-23-2007 at 9:15 PM.
    Use the fence Luke

If you have a good plumbing supply house around get a set of orifice drills, this are little, I mean little bits with handles on each you just spin between your fingers.

As has be stated use bees wax on the screws when you go to put them in.

12. Heat a sewing pin and use that (with pliers) to burn a pilot hole

If your screwdrivers are too big you can grind them OR use an exacto knife or razor blade that you ground to shape.

Electrical supply house should have the small bits for drilling holes in PC boards for pin and wire soldering. Mine each came in a small glass vial.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Cloud View Post
    but I'm dreading trying to install the tiny #2 screws. Any good ideas on how to do this?
    For small screws like that, and keeping them in the traditional aesthetic of solid brass, I use machine screws. I get the screws from McMaster Carr (slotted, brass flathead machine screws) and I got drill and tap sets from Lee Valley. Lee Valley also sells a good screwdriver set with small philips and slot head drivers. The butt of the driver rotates, allowing you to apply pressure into the screw head and turn the screw at the same time.....a pivotal feature required when driving very small brass screws....waxed or not. Machine screws are also better, IMO/IME than wood screws for very small screws because the length is almost always very short in addition to the gauge being relatively fine. A wood screw that is only 1/2 inch long only has a few threads holding it in (the tip of the screw offers no holding power) ..... a #2-56 machine screw will have threading that holds onto the wood all the way to the tip. The threading is very fine at 56 tpi, but I find these work more reliably than a #2 wood screw, especially in more dense woods.

Lee Valley tap set

Lee Valley Jeweler's driver set
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

Hire an elf. They should be available for work after tomorrow.