Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pop Wood article on Woodworker Guilds

Angry Pop Wood article on Woodworker Guilds

Has anyone read the article in this month's Pop Wood Magazine about "The Boys in the Guild"?

It describes Woodworker Guild members as "a bunch of wackos" and then goes on to describe several people who they say you can expect to meet at your local Guild meeting.

They start the article with a few positive comments about how Guilds are a great place, but I found the bulk of their article really quite offensive.

I have found the people at my local guild to be friendly, educated, intelligent, hardworking, and very talented. Sure most Guilds are filled with hobbyists. But, who do they think buy all the woodworking magazines? Not to mention the fact that it is also the hobbyist who supports their advertisers, without which there would be no Pop Woodworking.

I know that they will say that it was not meant to offend and that I should understand bla bla bla. I don't care what they claim to have meant. The fact is that it was a slam on hobbyists and I am no longer interested in them or their magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Kocourek View Post
    Has anyone read the article in this month's Pop Wood Magazine about "The Boys in the Guild"?

It describes Woodworker Guild members as "a bunch of wackos" and then goes on to describe several people who they say you can expect to meet at your local Guild meeting.

They start the article with a few positive comments about how Guilds are a great place, but I found the bulk of their article really quite offensive.

I have found the people at my local guild to be friendly, educated, intelligent, hardworking, and very talented. Sure most Guilds are filled with hobbyists. But, who do they think buy all the woodworking magazines? Not to mention the fact that it is also the hobbyist who supports their advertisers, without which there would be no Pop Woodworking.

I know that they will say that it was not meant to offend and that I should understand bla bla bla. I don't care what they claim to have meant. The fact is that it was a slam on hobbyists and I am no longer interested in them or their magazine.
    No offense...but I never heard of Pop Wood Magazine nor have I seen it on the newsstands.
    Gary

I abbreviated, Popular Woodworking

Sorry Gary, I should have written it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Kocourek View Post
    Sorry Gary, I should have written it out.
    LOL I was going nuts google-ing Pop Wood. Now I feel stupid
    Gary

I remember reading that article a few weeks ago and thought it seemed odd and out of place. He made it seem like woodworkers are eccentric and oddballs out of some TV sit-com or something.
    Most woodworkers that I have meet are down to earth and humble. Although I have to admit that since I started "talking" online a few short years ago, my perception of woodworkers has changed a little.

Gary

Have you told Popular Woodworking how you feel? Magazines often use 'freelance' writers and may not have adequately proofed the article. I, for one, am quick to point out things I disagree with - my elected representatives would like my email access rendered mute. Send PW an email, yes maybe they will wiggle and weasel but at least you'll have had your say.

Blog Entries
    I thought it was funny and didn't take it as a serious editorial.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

That article is available here. Maybe the writer was just trying to be funny.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Having just read the article, I also believe it to be an attempt at humor. Just think about it for a while and you will be able to place a face with each personality described. If we can't occasionally step back and laugh at ourselves - we may be taking things way to seriously.

Funny or not, I still don't subscribe....even today. Now I have another reason why I should not be a subscriber.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Funny

I thought it was all written in fun. Just about any guild (or forum) has people just like he described (your's is nice but mine is nicer, my tools are more expensive", etc. as well as the regular guys. Somebody famous once said "If you are going to laugh at someone, laugh at yourself first, it's a lot more fun." I think that was what he was doing. Just my 2 cents worth again.

I am the anti Pop woodworking and I think it was just funny

You probably won't find anybody with more of an attitude of "I will not subscribe to thet magaziine" than I. I think it was just a humorous article about guilds. I know being in a guild for a long time now (guessing 15 years) that the people metined in the article are certainly present in our guild.
    I found this magazine to not be worth much honestly. There are probably exceptions from time to time but I stopped subscribign in the early ninties. The final straw was whe they had plans to build a ladder, A LADDER!
    While some may find that interesting I found it ridiculous! SO to each his own.
    "I have worked myself up from nothing to extreme poverty." Groucho Marx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Pine View Post
    I found this magazine to not be worth much honestly. There are probably exceptions from time to time but I stopped subscribign in the early ninties.
    I didn't read this mag in the early nineties, but I really like the direction Chris Schwarz has taken the mag in the past few years. It seems to be more of a blend of hand tool/power tool approach to woodworking that resonates with me. You may want to check them out again...
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

Gee, I just thought it was a humourous article. That column is almost always poking fun at someone--its kind of the point of the column. Have you honestly never met people like the ones "named" in the column?

And I agree with Randy that Chris Schwarz has really turned the magazine around from where it was say 5 years ago.

Now if he had mentioned the geeky programmer guy, THEN I'd be ticked.

I'll also agree that the magazine is alot better the last couple of years. I had stopped subscribing but have been on mailing lists again.
    Gary