Thread: Obituary for a stairway...another excuse to use tools

Obituary for a stairway...another excuse to use tools

One of the things I’ve been looking forward to is the elimination of the open barn wood steps in our great room. The new stairway in the addition replaces them and yesterday was the day for “the honorary Dr. Destructo” (me) to do the deed. It took a few hours because I wanted to be careful not to damage the floor, etc., but in retrospect, I am so happy that the job is done. Those steps were an accident waiting to happen with very poor construction and a lot of wood that was marginal in strength and quality.

After getting them down, it was time to carefully repair the barn wood wall where the old stair landing was previously located. Longer boards were needed and I was able to use the bottom railing from up on the landing for part of the filler. I did need to butt-splice two pieces, but it will not be glaringly noticeable once the room is put back together. There were three small areas to repair on the floor, but some careful dye application followed by shellac made them all but disappear.

I’m happy to say that we are now ready for Myron, the stair-master, to start his work later in the week, installing a new railing system across the loft and into the addition.

Here's a bunch of pictures of the whole job including the tool use!

steps-1.jpg

steps-2.jpg

steps-3.jpg

steps-4.jpg

steps-5.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

--

--

But what type of tool comes in the Jack Daniel's box??? Looks like you've been busy this weekend. Nice work! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    But what type of tool comes in the Jack Daniel's box???
    Actually, 6 bottles of wine came in that box on Friday when I hit my favorite wine shop to replenish for the holiday season...it's now holding "a lot" of music CDs... (I don't do hard liquor, for the most part, other than a very occasional 'rita)
    --

OH MY ! Look at the gaps in that wood floor ! Beter tear it up !

Consider talking to a heating person to relocate the cold air returns? Or are those heat vents? None the less, have fun. Save some room and consider 3-4 winders half way up.

Looks like you are on the payroll! Good luck with the new rail, looking forward to the pictures.

Richard

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ... I am so happy that the job is done. Those steps were an accident waiting to happen with very poor construction and a lot of wood that was marginal in strength and quality...
    Not to mention that the railing had no banisters. I bet you are glad to get that down. It must have been doggin' you for a long time.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-24-2007 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tagging
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Quote Originally Posted by Don Bullock View Post
    Not to mention that the railing had no banisters. I bet you are glad to get that down. It must have been doggin' you for a long time.
    Yes...and the newels were only held down by about 6-8 nails.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Fields View Post
    Consider talking to a heating person to relocate the cold air returns?
    Return. The cover will be painted to make it disappear, not to mention some form of furniture may also help with that. It's not going to get relocated, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lenz View Post
    OH MY ! Look at the gaps in that wood floor ! Beter tear it up !
    Yea, you need a shop vac to clean 'em out, especially with little girls and little birds making big messes. But the look is quite striking! LOL. I seriously doubt that the new 11" wide pine floors in the addition will have quite that much gap between them. The floor you see in the existing great room was all done with recycled barn wood and they didn't straight line the material. (Which is why all the surfaces on the wall and floor have black builder's paper on them before the wood)
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-24-2007 at 10:22 AM.
    --

I always find it easier taking things apart than it is putting them back together.

I really like the barnwood siding. I have been looking for some for my stairwell to the basement. It seems that people have realized the value of old wood and you cant just "take down that dirty ol' barn" for them any more.

Thanks for sharing.

Lee, the barn wood is a nice touch, but was used in some places in this room to ill effect, largely due to poor construction and design, but mostly about "hard to keep clean". It's great for the beams. It's great for the wainscot and loft wall. But it was a poor choice for the cabinets adjacent to the fireplace and the fireplace mantle. (The mantle was already replaced with cherry and the cabinets will "go" once I can get to that side of the room. They need gone before we can get the room painted...and it really needs it.
    --