Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Under concrete floor dust collection system (pics)

Thumbs up beautiful

I,m as impressed by the view as much as the dream shop!! Awesome!!

Why did you make the "sump" with the removable covers instead of terminating the duct and plugs flush with the floor? Did you do it so you could have a flat floor if you moved the machines to the side?

Nice setup; I like the floor coloring. Now I will wimper and wander downstairs to my one car garage/shop...

Yeah, that's kinda nice. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll think I'll go set fire to my shop...

Thanks for sharing, Dave. Your example is truly an inspiration.

Just beautiful. My wife and I purchased a one acre lot in a suburb north of Dallas this year, and will (in three of four years) build our retirement home there - which will include an (approx) 800 sq ft workshop. I would love to handle my DC system in this manner, but one thing concerns me. I am fearful that, after moving in and making some sawdust, I will realize that I would like to rearrange/relocate some of the stationary tools - or I will purchase a new stationary tool that will necessitate such a relocation. It would seem to me that an "under the foundation" DC system would pose some limitations in such a scenario.

Dave, can you share with me if you planned for such an event, and if you did, how you will handled it?

Wonderful job - it makes me want to begin construction tomorrow !!!!!
    Last edited by Glen Blanchard; 12-25-2007 at 10:02 AM.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    Man, am I jealous! That is perfect.

Not me, my shop looks tons better than that.......OH NOT THE ONE IN THE PICTURES I'VE POSTED!!! I'm talking about the one in my dreams!
    Very nice. Exquisite would be a better word.

I don't think I'd ever put ducts in the floor either, but that's just me. Now maybe if I had my shop all set up in one place, had it just how I liked it with all the machines I ever wanted, then moved, I might. That way I would already know how and where I would want everything. Then I could rebuild the same shop with the duct work in mind. But I'd want a walk out basement under the end where the cyclone would be, and have the cyclone down stairs so I wouldn't have the sharp bend for the inlet pipe......
    Hey, How'd I get here at my computer???? Man I was having this really nice dream.....

MerryChristmas everyone! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Very nice. I am building out my new shop in a 24x36 three-car garage, and plan on running under concrete duct work to the TS and jointer. Just going to cut a channel, run the ductwork and electric, and then patch over. These machines should never have to move so having under the floor makes sense and is not too costly.

The rest of the stuff will be handled above floor allowing addition and relocation.

Mine is under floor and have never regretted it.
    I put in a few extra inlets. Glad I did, as I have rearranged machinery.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bregar View Post
    . . . Just going to cut a channel, run the ductwork and electric, and then patch over . . .
    I'd often thought of building with a raised panel floor on 2x8s and having screwed down panels over the ducts. That would give soft footing, access to DC ducting and electrical when needed, and flexibility (but still a pain ) to move machinery.

I've also seen steel plates over channels poured in concrete.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

My shop is above my 3-car garage. The DC/cyclone is in a utility room off the garage. 6" PVC S&D runs along the ceiling and goes up through the floor to multiple drops in the knee wall and also up through small hatches in the middle of the floor for the TS and jointer. The whole system is easy to reconfigure.

That is nice. My wife and I are building a new house for ourselves (we're builders) and I thought about doing that in my basement shop, but we're on a rocky site and just to get to grade for a fourteen course foundation (block) we had to enlist the help of a demolition hammer. So, there was no way to get the ductwork under the slab without sacrificing basement height. Maybe next time.

BTW, you can see the house in its present stage at page nine of Peercon.com.
    Visit Peercon.com

Dave....as I get ready to install my 2.5HP Onieda system and hang the pipe...I'm jealous!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

way cool~!!!

That is just super cool. What a nice shop. Like that floor! My eyeballs got big checking those picture. Congrats!
    One good turn deserves another

Blog Entries
    Incredible!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schaffter View Post
    My shop is above my 3-car garage.
    Is the garage on a hill so you have walk-in access, or did you lug all the macinery upstairs? Nice job on the DC pipes on the floor; those hatches are pretty slick.