Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bandsaw 16" or 18" which brand

Thanks for the update on the retro-fit guard Dirk... I have cut mine off just above the bearings and have no vision problem at all with that done. The guard below the bearing on most BS's is not necessary to begin with and just there as I mentioned for liability purposes.

But... the retro-fit will be an aid to those that don't want to cut a $1000 machine themselves. The first thing I would do on any BS would be to cut and extra port in the bottom rear for dust. I didn't have to put one there on the SC as it has probably the best dust collection from the 4" stock port as any BS on the market.

BTW.. the first SC BS's had very small thumb screws to lock and release for bearing adjustments. I called Scott Box and told him so. He listened and they now have large and SC will send you a set of the larger ones as a retro-fit if you have the older machine.

I just went to the hardware store and replaced mine before I made the call. $2 was a small price for me to pay for what is an extremely well designed BS off the crate. All machines have a few quirks, but the guys at SC do listen to them after the fact and don't hesitate to fix them if it is a legitimate quirk that can be corrected! Hence... the retro-fit on the safety guard.

Regards...

Sarge..

Jason...if you'll do a search here using the word bandsaw as the search word you can read all the arguments you want for the different size and makes of bandsaws. This is one of the most often asked questions. There really are only a couple of things that need consideration.

If you are going to do a lot of resawing......18" with lots of horsepower so you can run 1" or larger blades as the larger wheels stress the steel of the thicker blade less with the larger radius bend. The more h/p is just that...and makes for easier resawing.

You can resaw with smaller wheels and less h/p but you have to take into consideration it probably isn't going to "cut like butter".

If you don't plan on doing a lot of resawing, a smaller b/s will provide good service and probably handle smaller blades more easily as well.

Of course, budgetary constraints are the third and often the most important consideration.

Good luck with your decision.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 12-26-2007 at 11:57 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blade Shield for SC Bandsaw

Dirk: I just got off the phone with Dave at Steel City and he told me that they have no plans for retrofitting the Bandsaws with the newer blade guards. I told him that I considered it a possible safety issue and he still insisted that there were no plans to do it now or when they are available in Feb 08 but it is possible that it might change. Hope so.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by jason lambert View Post
    hummm, the mm16 looks nice but doesn't look like it is 1/2 the price of the steel city 18". My dealer does not marry the mm. I am in North NJ, where do I get them? I will look into it if not and the guard is not an issue I am laeaning towards the 18" steel city. I still have to see one in person though.
    MiniMax only sells direct. And definitely not half the price of the SC... ...year end special pricing for the MM16 is $2295 including mobility kit and miter gage.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-26-2007 at 8:54 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

When you get next to a MM 16 you won't believe how heavy they are built. Probably better than most of us need. But if you get one, you won't be worried about how to unload it so you can get a better bandsaw. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    When you get next to a MM 16 you won't believe how heavy they are built. Probably better than most of us need. But if you get one, you won't be worried about how to unload it so you can get a better bandsaw. Jim

Jim...the problem I had with my MM-16....was how to unload it......from the double pallets to which it was bolted!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Check my signature for bandsaw thread.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028