Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grizzly G1023SL 10" Table Saw 3 HP lft tilt

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    There'd be no industrial cabinet saws locally that I could buy new in that price range. It'd be tough to get much below $1400 locally, then I'd pay > $100 in sales tax, so $989 to my door is still several hundred dollars less, and its a well proven commodity. I'd rather buy locally, but when the total price is 45-50% more, it's a tough buy.
    I think you missed my point Scott. The extra saveings to me isn't worth the agrivation of not haveing a saw for weeks, possibly months.
    Last edited by Chuck Lenz; 12-26-2007 at 10:44 PM.

You are certainly taking more of a chance that your equipment will be down a while if you order it than if you pick it up locally. The question is how much more risk. My guess is something like 1% of all Grizzly saws require some form of customer service interaction but, from what I have read here, it is typically days rather than weeks. For the huge savings involved, I am willing to take that chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    You are certainly taking more of a chance that your equipment will be down a while if you order it than if you pick it up locally. The question is how much more risk. My guess is something like 1% of all Grizzly saws require some form of customer service interaction but, from what I have read here, it is typically days rather than weeks. For the huge savings involved, I am willing to take that chance.
    One percent ? Read some of the customer rateings in Amazon.com. More than one percent complain about the preperation of shiping on these saws.
    Last edited by Chuck Lenz; 12-27-2007 at 1:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lenz View Post
    I think you missed my point Scott. The extra saveings to me isn't worth the agrivation of not haveing a saw for weeks, possibly months.
    You're right...I was thinking only in terms of price, not convenience. sorry.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

One percent ? Read some of the customer rateings in Amazon.com. More than one percent complain about the preperation of shiping on these saws.
    It's really impossible to know the true rate unless Grizzly releases that info. The Amazon ratings are a very small sample size and likely do not yield an accurate estimate since small sample sizes and self-reporting tend to be prone to biases (e.g. unhappy people tend to be more vocal and write reviews).

But overall I would agree that shopping locally, if possible, helps avoid some of the issues mentioned.

The extra saveings to me isn't worth the agrivation of not haveing a saw for weeks, possibly months.
    Every machine that I have ordered from Grizzly has arrived in 1-4 days. It is amazing to actually get a machine literally overnight...

I choose to pick up everything I order at the local freight terminal to avoide the aggrevation of having to be home for a block of time during delivery, plus I believe (unsubstantiated) that 70% of all shipping damage occures in the truck between the terminal and your house, since frequently it is packed with only a few other boxes and free to move around.

And what percentage of Grizzly's big machinery purchases do you think come off of Amazon. I do not understand why Grizzly even bothers with them, except maybe as an advertising scheme. Grizzly has a fully functional on-line ordering system, and I would prefer not to cut Amazon a percentage of my purchase price given the choice. Shop directly from Grizzly and maybe help prevent price raising.

Chuck, have you personally ever had a problem with shipping from Grizzly?
    Last edited by Tim Marks; 12-27-2007 at 9:12 AM.

One percent ? Read some of the customer rateings in Amazon.com. More than one percent complain about the preparation of shipping on these saws.
    One percent may be low, but the Amazon comments are meaningless for statistical purposes. Just think about human nature and the way this board works. New owners are anxious to vent their frustration if a tool isn't delivered in working order but the opposite isn't true. When was the last time you saw a post that said something like "I received my order from Grizzly and everything was delivered as expected". It just isn't worth posting success stories.

As expensive as it is to send out new repair parts or, worse yet, pay to have a big tool exchanged, Grizzly would go broke if the repair/return rate was greater than a very few percent.

By the way, while we are talking about local purchase vs. ordering from somewhere else, what do you think is going to happen if you buy a Delta tablesaw locally and it doesn't work right? You have pretty much the same choices that you do if Grizzly sells it to you. You can wait several days for a repair part or you can send it back to the seller. In the case of Grizzly, they will send a truck to your house to pick it up. With the local seller, you have to get it back to them yourself. There is no way they will send someone to your house to pick it up or do a repair onsite unless you pay a lot more than $1000 - $1500.

I like to shop locally where possible, even if it costs a little more, to support the local shops and local economy. However, when you have a big ticket item like a tablesaw, and the difference in price is several hundred dollars, I normally can't afford to buy local. There are exceptions.

I bought one this morning. I sure hope it is a good price!

BTW, I had to call Grizzly CS a couple times when I got my BS this summer, but it all worked out okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I bought one this morning. I sure hope it is a good price!

BTW, I had to call Grizzly CS a couple times when I got my BS this summer, but it all worked out okay.
    Congrats. I'm sure you'll be happy with it. I added some extras that have made it more fun and safe to use (Bies splitter, board buddies, overarm guard connected to dust collector). Sounds like you were able to deal with the table top issues. Good luck getting it into the basement.