Thread: Jointech Cabinetmaker's System - Uses?

Jointech Cabinetmaker's System - Uses?

Santa just left a Jointech Cabinetmakers System (1232) and although I haven't assembled it to the router table yet, I am impressed! I look forward to the repeatability in settings, and the ease of performing multiple passes on large profile cuts. I cut dovetails by hand because I enjoy the process of it, but of course I will try dovetails with the Jointech as I try out my new toy. I don't foresee giving up the pleasure and satisfaction of the hand work on my projects however. Anyway, my question is for other owners of Incra/Jointech jigs. What do you use yours for? After buying one, do you find them indispensable, or do you regret buying them? When searching the forum and the rec, I find lots of talk of "Incra vs. Jointech" and talk of projects using double-double dovetails and stuff peculiar to these incremental jigs. Are there many people using them in their everyday woodworking projects, like I plan to? I find (so far) no books on applying these jigs to everyday woodworking processes, or places where they are discussed with much regularity. Even Jointech's own forum on their website has little activity. Have I just became the proud owner of a "fad" tool and don't know it yet?

2. I have a Jointech...

and wouldn't get rid of it for nothing. It's extremely versatile and repeatable, very accurate. I like it more for it's accurate positioning than anything else. I also have a Leigh D4R so I don't use the Jointech for dovetails anymore, but it does a good job, just a bit more setup. I've included a picture of how I have mine set up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steven

If it's a fad tool, I haven't figured it out yet! I have the Incra. And while I'm still finishing out my router table cabinet, the table has been usuable for a month or so. I have used it as a regular router fence mostly, and it has performed very well. I haven't mastered doing dovetails on it yet, but am starting to at least see how it works. I need to find some cheap solid wood to work some more with it. HD baltic birch ply just splinters up too much, and it's probably pretty hard on the one DT bit I have. Don't know about the Jointech, but I was surprised to find out that to cut 1/2" through DTs in 1/2" material, you need a bit that isn't in any of the bit sets for Incra units! For a 1/2" bit it needs to be 10 degrees, not the 14 degree bit all the sets have! I think I've settled on the Infinity set for what I "think" I'll need, but they don't show a 1/2" shank 1/2" bit in 10 degree format in their listing of DT bits. They do have in in 1/4" shank. Kinda strange. But maybe I missed it.
    Enjoy the learning process with your Jointech unit. I have their SmartMiter, and it is a top notch piece of equipment! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Mark I have the Incra 25" L.S. and I wouldn't trade it for any thing. You can make all kinds have dovetails and box joint. I use mine for any thing that you would normally use a router for and then some. Once you get use to it you'll never go back to any thing else.

Bob

I like my 2632 system very much, I use it for so much more than just dove tails. Just like Steven says its accurate positioning is great. I cut more dados on mine than I do with a saw and it works great. The Key with dove tails is make sure your stock is cut square and flat and also square to the fence and table and it will make perfect dove tails and box joints every time. Also the "True Center" works perfect.

Good Luck

Alan

I use mine as my every day router table fence and love it. The fact that it does joinery is just a bonus really.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

I haven't made any of the joinery with mine yet, but I like it as a router fence.

The dust collection is nice.

Also, I like the T slots on the top. I have been able to attach "board buddies" to the router fence, which I prefer to feather boards. Just be careful not to set the board buddies for too much pressure, since the fence is not fastened down on the ends.

Thank you all for your replies!

Thank you all for your replies! I now feel better about my intentions of using the Jointech as an everyday fence with a nice set of extra features. At least, now I know that I won't be alone. I'm already thinking of how nice the incremental positioning will be on making some dadoes on an upcoming desktop clock project. No doubt I will find other tasks that can be streamlined by the incremental feature, IF I can think of them, and not blindly continue the "old way".

Mark