Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Battery charging practices

Lee:

You’re a better man than me. Told you the math was giving me a headache.

Originally I started to write an Excel spread sheet to do the calculation. Until it occurred to me that this wasn’t as simple I thought. After 2 hours I called it quits. But there me someone out there who would undertake this challenge.

Greg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Sznajdruk View Post
    Lee:

You’re a better man than me. Told you the math was giving me a headache.

Originally I started to write an Excel spread sheet to do the calculation. Until it occurred to me that this wasn’t as simple I thought. After 2 hours I called it quits. But there me someone out there who would undertake this challenge.

Greg
    Wow, I thought I was bad. I also started out in excel trying to do it with a formula and gave up after about an hour and just did the calculations in my head and recorded the results in the spreadsheet, but because both timers run together when they are on I couldn't figure it out. Probably some of the calculus that I learned 30 years ago would have helped. I'll see if my math professor son in law can figure it out.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Wow, I thought I was bad. I also started out in excel trying to do it with a formula and gave up after about an hour and just did the calculations in my head and recorded the results in the spreadsheet, but because both timers run together when they are on I couldn't figure it out. Probably some of the calculus that I learned 30 years ago would have helped. I'll see if my math professor son in law can figure it out.

Lee:

I suspect that a math professor is probably what is required.

Let me know if he comes up with a formula. Execel doesn’t appear to be able to do algebra or maybe calculus is what is required to crack this nut.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    The manual or the website tech support is your best source for this info as it varies by battery, charger and manufacturer. I just had some batts rebuilt for my DeWalt 9.6 drill because i love it so much. You may find it becomes a favorite. I like my Makita 9.6 better (balance) and had those batts rebuilt too.
    I usually charge my batteries and remove them from the charger and unplug the charger. I agree, read the manual - with newer batteries and charger technology a lot has change since I bought my 9.6 volt Makita around 1990.

I recently bought a new (rebuilt?) 9.6 volt battery at a Menards store for $32.00 and the drilll works good as new. Added bonus is a newer Makita charger that is about 3 years old will charge that 9.6 volt battery. The old Makita just keeps on going, and going, and going, ...

Larry
    Last edited by Larry James; 12-27-2007 at 11:24 AM. Reason: add word

I remove the battery when fully charged and unplug the charger and blow out the vents with compressed air just in case flammable wood-dust has accumulated in the transformer.

The only rechargeable batteries that I leave plugged in are laptops and cell phones.

Do not leave them in the charger at all times....unless you don't like your house/shop that much. The newer chargers are not much different from the chargers made a few years ago. They still continue to charge at a low rate even if the battery is full. This is both bad for the battery and unsafe as it could potentially cause a fire should the battery rupture and start to leak and drip into the charger. I've heard of too many incidents to ignore it as a possibility.

Jason
    Battery Builders