Thread: Wow! What a great deal.

Wow! What a great deal.

I was at Home Depot tonight and as usual I took a stroll through the tool corral. I noticed that alot of the tools had signs that showed the price as well as a price for a 2 year service contract. Even the Rigid tools with a plainly marked box stating that they have a lifetime warranty! How many people go for this?
    Ok rant over.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

i am detecting your sarcasm

I am not usually one to purchase the extended warranty. I always think "if they are pushing the warranty so hard, this really must be junk"

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Koepke View Post
    i am detecting your sarcasm

I am not usually one to purchase the extended warranty. I always think "if they are pushing the warranty so hard, this really must be junk"
    Stores pushing the extended warranty has nothing to do with how good or bad a product is. Warranty sales is a HUGE profit. I once sold extended warranties for electronics. A warranty sold to the customer for $89.00 cost the store $10.00. Most customers forget after a short time they purchased it so it is never used. Also a warranty protects the store. If an item is defective it may save the customer from returning it.

I used to sell extended warranties. The reason they push them so hard is that they are so profitable. A warranty that cost 1/4 of the asking price would be an expensive one to the retailer. Most cost less.

The real dirty little secret about warranties is that the warranty sellers make their money by denying claims. If you buy one for your car and the trans go they can deny your claim if you can't prove you maintained everything up to exact manufacterers specs. They could deny your trans claim if you went to long on an engine oil change. They're a rip. I never ever buy one.

Rob Will Guest
    Me neither, I figure that jumping through the hoops to get a warranty claim covered would cost me in wasted time far more than the original tool cost. Also, whenever possible, I don't buy important stuff from the BORG.

About a year ago, I bought a Senco 600 framing nailer from Lowes. It never worked very good so I sent that one for repair (they found nothing wrong). I bought another one just like it and it was junk too - so I took it back. Eventually, I got the manufacturer to admit that the nailer I originally purchased was a "homeowner" grade tool sold only by Lowes. Eventually, I traded the junk to the local Paslode rep that calls on real lumber yards around here. Now I have a nailer that works.

The moral of the story? Dealing with the BORGS is fine for a screwdriver or a box of sheet metal screws. When things get complicated (like my nailer), what a cluster. Extended warranty would have wasted even more of my time. I should have bought from the local rep in the very beginning.

So........dealing with somebody local who personally sells and services the product is quite possibly the best extended warranty of all.

Rob