Thread: Rockler & Hock blades...

Rockler & Hock blades...

I dropped in at my local Rockler to browse a bit at lunch. I passed by the Hock blades and remembered that these blades \ cap irons seem to have a great reputation. Over the last week, I bought a few old Stanleys and thought I'd grab a blade and iron to assist me in my first old plane tune up project. (Yes, standby - I'm sure to need help...)

The 2" blade (for the "high carbon") was $36, and the chip breaker was $32 or so... At the counter, the fella said they were on sale - 50% off. It wasn't marked, nor can I find any blades on the Rockler website. $35 still seems like a lot for both pieces - (more than I bought the plane for), but I think it's a good deal.

YMMV however - might be worth a call if you're looking for a blade.

Regards,
    jbd

On Hocktools.com the High Carbon Steel blade lists for $38 and chip-breaker for $28. ($66 total so 50% off would be $33 + tax) An A2 blade would be $48. I haven't bought any (yet ) but my understanding is that they are well worth their price and half off was a steal!

I plan on buying a blade set for a Krenov style woodie, may buy his kit.

Quote Originally Posted by John Dykes View Post
    I dropped in at my local Rockler to browse a bit at lunch. I passed by the Hock blades and remembered that these blades \ cap irons seem to have a great reputation. Over the last week, I bought a few old Stanleys and thought I'd grab a blade and iron to assist me in my first old plane tune up project. (Yes, standby - I'm sure to need help...)

The 2" blade (for the "high carbon") was $36, and the chip breaker was $32 or so... At the counter, the fella said they were on sale - 50% off. It wasn't marked, nor can I find any blades on the Rockler website. $35 still seems like a lot for both pieces - (more than I bought the plane for), but I think it's a good deal.

YMMV however - might be worth a call if you're looking for a blade.

Regards,
    jbd
    Where is your local Rockler? I'd love to call and see if they will sell over the phone at that price and ship.

Rockler has been here maybe 6 years

and I even worked there a bit for a summer, several years back.

But their pricing and product marking has always been a mystery, a shot in the dark, and a wild guess, even to those who work there in management.

Ask for the price, and make your decision then, but never plan on an unadvertised price.

BTW, those Hock items are quite nice, and help to upgrade an older Stanley quite well.

I have a hock Iron and Chipbreaker in my 6 and it was well worth it. I would also like to add that I have the LN iron and chip breaker set in m 5 which is also great. The differences come down to your preference on either A1 or O2 tool steel.

I have the hock college of the redwoods iron and chip breaker set in my krenov style wood plane and while it did need a good bit of work to lap the iron and tune the chip breker is a very good piece of steel.

I'm in Denver, and the Rockler is in South Denver on Colorado Ave.

Looking forward to getting my ebay Stanleys in - and see what I can do...

- jbd (in Denver)