Thread: Help in setting up my new, used saw

Help in setting up my new, used saw

Hi All,

I picked up my new, used 1023zx Grizzly table saw, got all 479 lbs down my basement (no slidding doors to back up to here, just those steep concrete steps beyond the bilco doors) and will be setting it up in the next couple of days. I'm not in to much of a rush because I have a friend who will help to to run the 220 outlets when he gets the time. But I guess I need to know what I need to do to set it up and or tune it up, if that applies. This is my first saw, so I have never done this before. Thanks

Lewis

The Grizzly web site has reprinted manuals. The setup and maintance chapters should do you good.

Good Luck
    Roger

Blog Entries

Just the basics

ou don't need power to do the basic alignments. Align the blade to the miter slot and the fence to the miter slot. The Grizzly manuals should have information on how to do that. I would recommend a dial indicator mounted to the cross cut guide. You can pick one up cheap at Harbor Freight. For this task a <$20 dial indicator will work just fine. I secure mine to the cross cut guide by mounting a block of wood to the guide and mount the dial indicator with a wood screw to that block of wood.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Here is a good place to start.

http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/calibrate_sled1.htm

http://www.newwoodworker.com/basic/tsalign.html

I have the Super Bar and the Master Plate and think that is one of the best things that I have ever bought for the shop.
    I am sure not and expert on saws but I will say take your time and do it right the first time and you will be really glad you did later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post

I have the Super Bar and the Master Plate and think that is one of the best things that I have ever bought for the shop.
    Bill is right on the mark here. The Super Bar and Masterplate are made by Mastergage:
    http://www.mastergage.com/display_product.asp?id=4

I bought mine from Amazon.com
    http://www.amazon.com/MasterGage-SB-...8775901&sr=8-1

These 2 tools are relatively inexpensive and will do the measurements you need to properly set up your new(used) table saw quickly and without error. Highly recomended.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Fitzsimonds View Post
    The Grizzly web site has reprinted manuals. The setup and maintance chapters should do you good.

Good Luck
    Roger
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    ou don't need power to do the basic alignments. Align the blade to the miter slot and the fence to the miter slot. The Grizzly manuals should have information on how to do that. I would recommend a dial indicator mounted to the cross cut guide. You can pick one up cheap at Harbor Freight. For this task a <$20 dial indicator will work just fine. I secure mine to the cross cut guide by mounting a block of wood to the guide and mount the dial indicator with a wood screw to that block of wood.

Just emphasizing that it should be aligned BEFORE you ever hit the on switch (you get tempted when you have it first wired up). You don't want your first experience with it, to be kickback, or worse!

How about cleaning the motor?

Thanks all,

I cleaned out the box and am wondering if I should do anything to the motor? Grease anything? WD40?

Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis DeJoseph View Post
    Thanks all,

I cleaned out the box and am wondering if I should do anything to the motor? Grease anything? WD40?

Lewis
    Other than vacuuming out the motor, nothing should be done to it. Check the belts for cracks or fraying, clean all the threads on the lifting and tilting rods. You should probably also take the power switch cover off and blow it out. A new blade would also be good insurance. Everybody likes the Forrest Woodworker II

How about a dado blade?

I got that same blade already, I have been looking at dado blades as well, any suggestions? And thanks!

About a month ago I picked up a new "used" 1023 with a slider and didn't get a manual with it either. I just went on Grizzly's website and downloaded the manual and parts list which provided all the information and steps you need to do in order to setup and adjust the saw. The manual also tells you how and what to clean and grease.
    Enjoy your new saw, I know I'm happy with mine but it took me about a week to get everything adjusted to my satisfaction. That slider took the longest to get tweaked!
    It's a biiiig mistake to allow any mechanical object to realize that you are in a hurry.