Thread: Sketchup suggestion-printing manual

Sketchup suggestion-printing manual

I have been trying to learn Sketchup and looked around for some books on the subject. I decided the online manual was the best thing to use but inconvienent since I'd have to switch back and forth to read it as I went along. I decided to print it out but didn't want to do it on my printer.

I went to the Kinkos website to see how late they stay open and it turns out they have an automated service online. I uploaded the PDF file, chose two sided, black&white, bound with vinyl covers and it came to $35. I paid online and it was ready for pick-up three hours later.

I have already learned a lot going page by page and trying all the options as I went. As good or better than the tutorials because it gives you all the options which is less confusing to me.

That's a good suggestion, Richard. It would probably cost more in wear and tear as well as ink cartridges on your own printer!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Sketchup

Sketchup for dummies, I got it for Christmas, very good.
    Dick

I second the recommendation for Google SketchUp for Dummies. I've been using SU for a while, but I learned a lot from the book.

I hate the name though.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

I swore years ago that I'd never buy any book called ".... For Dummies," how offensive can you get; but I broke down after 10 or 20 years and bought the "Sketchup FD" book, very good guide. What's more, many of the chapters are illustrated on YouTube, search for "aidanchopra" who is the author.

Pam

Well I'm on page 100 going page by page and trying all the options. I have learned a lot so far, I would get frustrated before after a bunch of online and self paced tutorials but with the manual printed out I am getting it. I'm sure the Dummies book is useful but I didn't want to wait on an order so I had the manual printed out.

I finally was able to accuratley draw something....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Niedermayer View Post
    I swore years ago that I'd never buy any book called ".... For Dummies," how offensive can you get; but I broke down after 10 or 20 years and bought the "Sketchup FD" book, very good guide. What's more, many of the chapters are illustrated on YouTube, search for "aidanchopra" who is the author.

Pam
    Me too, Pam. it's like - "Hello, Im Larry, and I Bought a Dummies Book".

I spent so many hours and became soooo frustrated that I ordered the SketchUp dummies book from Amazon.

Chapter 2, "Establishing the Modeling Mind-Set" and the associated U-Tube videos have most of the info needed to climb the steepest part of the learning curve. Don't think I'm not still struggling, learning is just more fun now.

Larry

Be sure to check out Chapter 17. And, the Author Credits in the front matter too!

Todd